greener

Mar 1, 2005
When i got my bike(1993 kx125) for the first time many years ago I was temped to add power to it the easiest/cheapest way according to any dirt bike mag i've read by adding after market reeds. You'll have to forgive me, because its been 4 years or so since i got them so i can't remember exactly what kind they were, but I remember the reeds are Boyesen and are the cheaper of the bunch they sold.
Anyway, since I installed them the bike makes all kinds of power up top, but has basically nothing down low. This has always bugged me because i do a lot of trail riding where its nice to have low end too. I've kept them in there because i paid for them, but its to the point where I've had enough, and want my bottom end back or at least some of it.
I remember reading in the instructions that they could make the engine run rich, but i've never had any over heating or starting problems, so i just decided to leave the carb alone.

Is this normal? Is there something i can do, or should i just buy a set of the stock reeds again?

I should also note that it has a FMF Gold series fatty pipe and silencer, but it had this before the reeds went in, and it ran fine.

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
When was the last time you checked the compression? Have you replaced the top end (Piston and Rings) since you purchased it? If the piston and rings are shot you will have absolutely no bottom end.

greener

Mar 1, 2005
I don't think it can be compression. Its always been that way. Through many new pistons/rings. Even had to put a complete new head in it last year. I can almost 100% rule out low compression.

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
Not to get too personal but what is your weight? A 125 is truly designed for a rider around 130lbs. 125's have never been known for having a true "low end" . 125's are designed to be clutched and have a great mid to top end punch. The FMF Fatty Pipe is designed to pull more mid to top end as well. So I think the mods you have done are pushing the motor to be a top end hound and not so much a cruising motor. Maybe you should look at a stock pipe and a little warmer plug for trail riding.

greener

Mar 1, 2005
thanks for all the quick replys guys

I'm 185lbs, 6'1"

I'll keep that in mind. maybe its running the way it should with the mods and with me on it.

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
greener,
You should be riding a 250! There is no way a 125 is going to have any amount of low end to pull you around. Dont take this the wrong way! It is the truth. I think you can mod a 125 to handle up to and not more than a 165lb person. With your size of course a 125 seems slow. If you arent ready to deal with a 250 two stroke that is ok, get a 250 four stroke. I think you might find your niche. It will handle your weight and make you feel fast. What is better??

greener

Mar 1, 2005
Thanks for the advice

I've owned a cr250 before. It was a fun bike, untill i put reeds in it and a few other little things. then it got to much to handle.

I might take your advice. I was thinkin about keeping this 125, but now i might look around.

When you say 4-stroke are you refering to like a XR250R? I've ridden those, and they seemed a bit too boring. No offence to any XR250 riders out there.
I've never ridden or even really seen those high perf 4 strokes. Do they have a lot more power then the XR250 does?

yam 3

May 19, 2000
Put a bigger sprocket on the rear maybe one or two teeth. This will help pull of of the bottom, but will sacrifice top end speed.

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
You need to adjust your jetting for those reeds. Try dropping down your pilot a couple sizes. Might have to lean the needle one click too. Thats what I had to do on my 125.

Pretty much rule of thumb is if they say you "might" have to make jetting changes then just plan on it. They know the average rider is not going to want to do that so they don't want to scare anyone off.

Last edited:

CParker

Mar 2, 2005
The instruction booklet that comes with the reeds did say you might have to lean out the jetting like gonzo843 said.
BTW, I also like 125s. I just got rid of my CR250 and went back to a 125, even though I am well over the 'ideal' 125 weight.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
How about a 200??? If i where you though id get a GasGas 250 enduro...a very easyy bike to ride. Smooth power not will not put you off like a mxer....has loads of lowend!!

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
greener said:
I've never ridden or even really seen those high perf 4 strokes. Do they have a lot more power then the XR250 does?

YES the 250F's example CRF250 rev similar to your 2T 125 they make a little less HP but the tourqe is nearly double of the 125, but still they are NOT trail bikes, but they are definatly eaiser for novice or heavier riders to go fast on, but won't be as wild as a 250 2T. But seriously if you cruise trails more than the track, a 250F or enduro equivilant may be better suited to your riding style. If money is tight look for a used KDX.

Top Bottom