Boysen Reeds

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey y'all,
I've been toying with the idea of replacing the reeds on my '01 KDX 200. I was wondering how many people out there are running Boysen Carbon Reeds and your thoughts on them? Is there a marked difference in power if so where, top end or low end? Also, are they really worth the money?
Thanks,
Moose

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
boyesen reeds are one of the best reeds you can buy i just put a new set of boyesen power reeds in my 2000 yz125, i havnt got to try them out though, i tried my friends 2000 yz125 which was running them

jgfoad

Apr 8, 2002
I put some boyesen #607 reeds in my '02 200 a while back. ...slightly crisper throttle response, but nothing to write home about. if you're looking for a cheap power mod, just yank the snorkle out of the airbox. that woke it up more than the reeds did. ...or save up for a pipe - adding the pipe (fmf gnarly woods) gave my bike the biggest boost.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Roger that. I've been working on the pipe issue, but as you can see in my quote...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't know the extent to which boyesen carbon reeds for the oem cage are different than the carbon reeds on their radvalve....but I'm not a radvalve reed fan.

After one year's use, the radvalve reeds were trashed. Chipped, split, peeling and sprung. Obviously before they were observed in that state they needed to be replaced.

While a year may be suggested as a replacement interval by boyesen, I think they should not have been a complete mess after a year.

Moto Tassinari's reeds didn't look like that after a years use. Same model bike...same hours of use.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey Cancarvr!
I seem to remember that somebody (Canadian Dave?) had posted about the Radvalve and hadn't been too impressed with it either. I've not pulled the reeds yet, but figured that at the December break in the season I'd probably do a top end and replace, but was unsure about what type of reed to go with. I know that Boysen puts out a "factory replacement" reed, and the Carbon one, but wasn't sure if there was a difference in the two. Thanks, I'll avoid the Radvalve, carve on!

dirtryder72

Jul 24, 2002
hey jasonwho, we both have the same 87 kdx and i just heard that u needed to know whether or not to take out the snorkel...what is and where is the snorkel located on the airbox....is it that lilttle rubber flap?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Boyesen power reeds (607 I think?) are generally well thought of. Reeds in general are a 'consumable' item. They should be replaced BEFORE they need to be replaced as a matter of general maintenance.

The radvalve has recently taken a HUGE price chop..like about $40! Personally, I think it's cuz they know the competition has 'em whacked! I've run both the radvalve and the deltaforceII reed setups. I've run the two different setups in different bikes at the same time (two '00 200s) otherwise setup the same. The DFII kicks the radvalves hiney.

Note that a deltaforce and a deltaforceII are barely similar, hugely different in construction, materials and performance. If you tried a DF and didn't think much of it, realize the DFII isn't just a slightly improved version.

Besides...they are a completely different color!! ;) THAT proves it!!

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey CC, it's all about the color, especially if it's Kawi Green ;) Heck I'd never heard of the deltaforceII reeds, guess I've had my head buried in the sand, no wait..that was a face plant :confused: . I became curious about what my reeds would look like with only one season on them after reading somewhere about them being "frequently missed maintaince". Thanks for the help. What is the cost comparison b/w the Boysen and DeltaForce reeds? I'm pretty much sold on not going with the Rad Valve. I'm just making one modification at a time and careful to follow the same routine
1. Ride
2. Make modification
3. Crash & breaksomething
4. Replace/upgrade part as I go along :)
Thanks again.

andy jackson

Jul 8, 2002
hi guys,ive put boyesen reeds in my 89 kdx when i had it,and found not a big improvement in h.p but in crispness.espicially when tied together with pipe mod and striaght thru muffler.I now have a 02 kdx2oo. does anyone know how a fmf gnarly woods goes on bike.Do really loose alot of top end with this pipe.i have brought a gnarly desert, not that impressed u loose two much bottom end .any advise or coments apreciated.cheers andy jackson

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Matt, about the pipe issue. Have you ever considered attacking your pipe with a sledgehammer so your wife would let you get a new one?

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Hay Moose95 ..... I installed Boyesen Power reeds (607), but AFTER putting on a PC pipe. The pipe made a huge difference, but I WAS able feel the difference of the reeds. I followed the suggestions of many here to go with the Power reeds and not the Pro reeds. Re-jetting was needed of course, but no complaints at all. :cool:

Have fun and good luck ......

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Hey yzeater good to hear from you! I've thought about the 'ole sledge hammer routine, but then I'd have to wrench the daggone thing from my wife's hands ;) I'll be switching out pipes this winter, going with the torque pipe although I've heard some bad stories about the difficulty bolting on the FMF pipes VS. the PC ones. I figured that I'd change out reeds when I do the pipe change as well. I'll be in the Virginia area on the 14th yzeater, feel free to educate me on the good riding areas!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
moose:
Don't know about diff 'tween boyesen and moto tassinari reeds...alone. I don't THINK moto makes reeds for other than their own cage?

Anyway, as I mentioned, the boyesen has taken a HUGE price dump..is now something like $120. Last I checked on the DFII, it was the same price the boyesen was at that time...about $160.

With reeds!! ;)

Wife keeping you from getting a pipe? Mine BOUGHT me my '00 in the first place!!

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Well C.C. you know, I had to buy her a house, truck, get her through school, now it's all about a horse, but since she's now making more money than me I'm thinking that the 'ole FMF Gnarly would make a great Christmas Present, or perhaps a WER...but since she's now getting interested in the sport (want's a quad, poor thing, rather see her on a TW200 or something) perhaps she'll come down with the "fever" for it. ;) Thanks for the advice! :)

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
Moose95, your pipe isn't dented enough for your wife to authorize purchasing a pipe?? What you don't have a hammer? ;)

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
Hey I have a set of boysen power reeds, I used them on 2 rides. If you want to try em I'll let em go cheap.....reeds and stops

emde76

Aug 7, 2002
I tried both the Radvalve and Delta Force II on my 220, and the DF II is much better. I'm running a Gnarly Desert pipe and Power Core II silencer, and the gaps in the powerband have completely gone away. Moto Tassinari also got me some stiffer reed petals for my big-bore project!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Well now...another (finally) convert to 'the way it is'! ;)

Thanks for the input, emde. You running 'low' or 'hi' tension?

As I've mentioned previously, my riding buddy (an oh-oh 200) was the beta tester for the DFII. He went through a number of revisions before getting something that worked.

I could tell you where the kdx DFII setup originated, but then you'd feel the necessity to carry a thermos with you on your next ride, dress in very warm clothes, and carry a carrot for someone's nose!!

Sure does work, though. My bike's personality certainly took a turn for the better (reeds set to 'low'). More tractable, useable power that's GREAT fun to ride (uh..great'er' fun?).

The sooner the colloquial 'you' get one, the happier 'you' will be!

Moose:
'It's all about a horse.' Ha! And... uh-oh!! My wife got the bug...and got herself a yamaha warrior. It started out as, 'Leave my quad alone. I don't want you messin' with it.' Went to, 'Can you help me put my dyna-jet kit in?'......'I'll handle my white brothers e-series pipe install, my design pro foamy adapter install and my airbox mod myself.' Now, her brother (a bike racer-type, honda sponsored at one time) looks at the things she does on her warrior and says, 'There's something not right in her haid!'

A horse might be a better deal........;)

emde76

Aug 7, 2002
Carvr,
I'm running the regular tension on my DFII. I'm having another DFII installed with stiffer petals to accomodate my 225 big bore kit. From what I understand, it's a test version of something that the Tassinari boys are working on. I pick my bike up from the speed shop today and I'll let you know how my mods turn out.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Regular' doesn't compute. There is a 'hi' and a 'lo'....each for a special purpose. (HEY!!! I got one-a those!!! ;) ).

While my DFII worked fine on the 'hi' setting (better than the radvalve, too), it was MUCH better on 'lo'. Keep in mind I rarely get to 4th gear in our winter riding area, so any 'better' top-end from more tension isn't what I'm after. Suppose if I was REALLY anal, I'd change to 'hi' for the few weeks we can ride in our summer area. This year it was open for three whole weeks!!

MT said 'most every bike' works better with the tension set to 'hi'. Another reason to find out what works for YOU...cuz I like 'lo' much better.

Also, note that reed life is reduced when run at a lo tension.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…