pearman

May 21, 2012
I was wondering what different setup for reeds & cages kdx riders are using?
I am wanting to do a upgrade to my 97 220.
back in the 1980's from 85 on up we used reed blocks, which pulled the reeds & cage out a little bit. It made great low end.
any one care to share
thanx
pearman

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
i run the boysen reeds only, but I have a 200, from what I hear you would be best to do just the boysen reeds and send the head and carb to rb designs, it may be just a little more than the reed cage assembly from either of the 2 suppliers, but give you better results

pearman

May 21, 2012
well I have considered doing the rad valve 1st. Im just not to sure about getting the port job. I have had other kx 250 motors in the past that I ported and it change the powerband into something different. Im not totally against porting the cyc but Im not
really wanting to take away from the reliability of the stock configuration.
Thanks for your info and I value your input.
pearman

Dec 15, 2010
a short time ago the rubber inlet boot on my rad valve split so while i was waiting for a new one to arrive i re-installed the old OE reed cage etc so i could still go out & ride...i did notice that although my 220 pulled well down low to mid range it didnt quite have the same hit that it did when i had the rad valve fitted...one thing i will mention is than when you install the rad valve you will need to go DOWN x1 size on the main & pilot jet...i was running a 40 pilot & 142 main with good results (at sea level) i have now fitted a 35mm carb from a 98 200 & with a few minor tweeks managed to get a better mid range to top end hit without any noticable lack in bottom end power for which the 220 is good for, i also removed the snorkle & drilled/fitted x3 `uni filters` in the lid...another good mod for your 220. :nod:

pearman

May 21, 2012
Thanks cornishwrecker
I have been thinking hard on the rad valve and it may be the way I go.
my 220 has alot of goodies on it now but I havent done much in the way of internal engine mods. I have been working on my supension mostly lately. My 220 runs pretty good I just would like a little more low to mid punch (2nd-3rd gear pull)
Thank you for the info

Dec 15, 2010
i think you will notice the difference after fitting the rad valve compared to the standard reed cage etc...220s though are low on compression anyway so if you wanted a little more umph i would suggest sending the head off for a skim & re-profile (rb designs seems to be the shop to visit) i guess it all depends on how far you want to go & how much money you want to spend & what you use the bike for...let us know how you get on :)

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
pearman said:
I was wondering what different setup for reeds & cages kdx riders are using?
I am wanting to do a upgrade to my 97 220.
back in the 1980's from 85 on up we used reed blocks, which pulled the reeds & cage out a little bit. It made great low end.
any one care to share
thanx
pearman

If your looking to focus more on the low end , then a reed block spacer is worth the effort. I put an 1/8" one on a 200 and could tell a difference. Now you did say you have a 220 , being a torque motor anyway , hard to say , try it , I made mine from scap , so no
money out of pocket.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Is the the gearing on this bike stock ?

If it is , you may want to try one tooth smaller on the front drive
sprocket. :cool:

If you had an e-mail address as a contact you may get more feed back.

pearman

May 21, 2012
Thanks for the replies. All are great info. Since I posted this I wanted to try a couple things, so I installed some new boysen reeds (607) and went to a 49 tooth sprocket
both helped tremendously. I have found that I am able to pull 2nd & 3rd gear alot better. I may need to still do some fine tuning on the carb it feels a little blubbery on the top end. I havent riden much last couple weeks due to the 105 degrees temps, but I have a race coming up in mid july and I think this setup will work.
Thanks everyone.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Yea , it's probably a little rich on the high ends it blubbers.

I won't highjack this thread on fuels but buy non-ethanol if you can.

I'll post another thread on fuels and jetting. :cool:

pearman

May 21, 2012
I was thinking the same thing, I am running 91 oct no ethanol . Im not real sure what way to approach the issue. Move the needle clip or change the main. The bottom end seems to be fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
pearman said:
I was thinking the same thing, I am running 91 oct no ethanol . Im not real sure what way to approach the issue. Move the needle clip or change the main. The bottom end seems to be fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'd drop the Main jet to the next size smaller , you may end up going two sizes smaller but try one first.

The needle is more for fine tuning after the jetting is real close. :cool:

Top Bottom