Alertaaa

Aug 6, 2005
I replaced the rear sprocket on my bike and when I had my wheel apart i fixed up my brakes because they never worked. Now I have every thing put back together and when I push the lever the rear wheel locks up fine but when I ride it and try nothing works. The brake pads have very little wear on them and look like new and I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem is?

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Its a different story when there is weight on the bike than when its on the stand. There is a reason that drum brakes arent on the majority of bikes. They just dont work that great. I would suggest tightening the adjustment just till they start to rub. To where it will slow it down while on the stand with no brake applied. Ride around and try that.

In addition, if you got any lubricant, grease or chemicals in the brake hub while you were working on it the pads may be slick or softened.

Then there is always the chance that when assembling it you didnt have everything seated correctly inside the brake hub and when you went to ride it, the pads or actuator may have fallen out of place. This is possible but not likely.

Hope this helps.

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
take them apart and sand the hub-- this will remove the brake glaze from years of use
i used ? i think it was 360 grit sandpaper clean thouroughly put them back together
and break the new pads in slow so you dont burn them up ,and keep adjusting untill your happy with the results

Alertaaa

Aug 6, 2005
thanks alot for the advice.
I am going to take my wheel apart and try both of those things and if that doesnt work then I am going to see if theres any way to convert the brakes to a newer style.

Top Bottom