r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
By the time I have finished these brakes I will be an expert on the topic!

My brakes are now working after a full set of seals and pads but I have noticed that the pads are not grabbing the whole disk, just the top 2cm or so.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I have double checked that the pads are in correctly.

Cheers

Lee

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
To state the obvious: If you're only getting the top 2cm (I take that to mean the outside part of the disk?), something is wrong.

..and that something can be fixed.

The most likely problem is that the pads are not in correctly. Yeah...I did read the 'they are in correctly' part.

They (the pads) may be hanging up on a worn guide pin(s).

The caliper itself may be damaged (seen that before).

The rotor may be bent/warped (that's not going to show the same wear on both sides of the rotor, though).

The backing plate &/or fiber pad may be damaged or incorrectly installed.

If you're using a used rotor, what you may be seeing is simply a (correct) wear pattern of new pads on the used rotor.

r6demon

Jul 27, 2004
I stripped the caliper down again yesterdat and I noticed that there wasn't a spring clip in the caiper. I installed that last night and it looks to have moved the pads pown the disk a cm or so. Didnt get chance to test it as it was hammering with rain but I hope to get it tested today. As always i will post back the results.

Thank you again for all your help!

Top Bottom