Brake Pads - heat shield & flipping sides

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
What is the verdict on the OEM heat shields on the brake pads? I'm about to install a set of DP's and they do not have a replacement shield. Do I need to transfer the backings to the new pads?

Also, the DP package has a sticker on one pad indicating 'piston side'. Looking at the pads I can't see a difference between them. Is there? Based on how the last pair wore, I was planning to swap the pads around every so often to get longer/even wear.

BTW, I searched back 2 years and did not find more than a cursory reference to these questions.

Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
If your talking about the shield on the pads you took off the bike I did in that case. They just pried right off with a flat head screw driver. And popped right backed on the new pads no problem. My pops told me they were for squeaking effects. I quess if you wanted to leave them off you could. Thats what my pops told me when I was doing my pads and he's a auto mechanic working on cars for 25 years.

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I use the heat shield and the white insert between the sheild and pads. I've only gone through two sets of pads but they both wore evenly on mine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom