ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i've heard that the kdx's are known for the rear brake stick, my 87 is terrible about it. Anyone know of the fix? It only sticks when i get on it hard, if i use it gentle it won't stick, but when does anyone need to use their brake gently?!

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Check to see if the pad retaining pins are grooved. If they are, replace them with some MSR or Moose pins. Use anti-sieze when you reinstall.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Um, isn’t the 87 drum rear? Just trying to remember my friend’s one. I’m sure his is.

If it is drum then the pads may be worn to the point that the cam goes over the point of ‘no return’ which is why they only stick when used hard.

As a matter of course, Take the foot lever off & grease it. Take the backing plate off & grease the lever arm in the plate but use a small amount of high temp (copper) grease.

Check the pad wear. Sometimes they don’t need to get down all the way before they will stick. I have a quick & dirty fix for getting the last couple of mm but I won’t suggest it.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
mine is drum...i took them apart last night again (i had already put new pads in two days ago)... pressure washed assembly, then lubed pivot pin...seems to work now...thanks for help

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i pm'd you jasonwho....drop me a line and let me know what kind of spare stuff ya got...thank ya

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom