• I have a 200 & did the top end after break-in

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • I have a 200 & didn't do the top end after break-in

Votes: 117 35.9%
  • I have a 220 & did the top end after break-in

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • I have a 220 & didn't do the top end after break-in

Votes: 73 22.4%
  • I have a 200 & don't know (i.e. bought 2nd hand)

Votes: 72 22.1%
  • I have a 220 & don't know (i.e. bought 2nd hand)

Votes: 35 10.7%

• Total voters

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Top end after break in poll

Okay, let's try to get a semi-accurate result from us KDX owners to see what result we come up with. I'll leave it an open poll, so results may differ as time progresses.
I guess we need to cover whether it's a 200 or 220 too, so hopefully everything's covered by me (otherwise we need to get a moderator to alter it).

BTW: Sorry for f'ing up the topic, shows how dyslexic I am, but then again, no one's mentioned that yet hehehe (either that or you all knew what I meant & read it as it was meant to have been put lol)

Last edited:

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
I have an '01 200 that is still new thanks to a bad back. It still isn't broken in yet, but I voted not to tear the top end off after I finally get it broken in, if I ever do. Hopefully it won't be a bad decision.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I didn't do the top end after break in, I know it said you should but I did some research and most people didn't bother doing the top end after the bike was broked in so I figured it would be ok not to.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
I bought my 1995 KDX 200 from my brother. It was purchased "new" in the spring of 1997, I think. Anyway, the motor was never apart until I just decided it was time to tear it down, in the winter of 2002 as I remember. That's 6 years on the original stock top end, with ZERO problems (well zero breakdowns, anyway).

When I did tear it down, the plating was worn away near the top of the cylinder and the rings (and piston too, I'm sure) were trash. The rings were so bad that you could just twist and bend them around and they would just deform without breaking. The bottom end was all still tight, though.

Anyway, I had Eric Gorr do the 225 big bore to mine after I tore it down-and I didn't do that top end after break in either. It's still running strong as ever after two summers now.

These are tough motors (well the 200 models anyway).

-Lutz

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I don't know about anyone else, but to be honest, I'm a bit surprised by the results so far.

After 61 votes, about 5% of 200 owners did the top end, and about 18% of 220 owners did theirs - that's adding into the equation those that don't know. For some reason I thought it'd be more 50/50 (and pretty equal with the don't know factor taken into it, too).

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
That's because (IMO) it's ridiculous to do such a thing. I'd guess it's to force an inspection to allow you to notice any manufatcuing defects. Why even bother breaking in a top end just to change it? The 220 results are probably higher due to the fact that some have heeded the warnings from fellow 220 owners and immediately swapped in a wiseco...

My 2c....

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
So, when you do the top end after the break in, you break in the new top end and the you break it in and then you do the topendandthenyoubreakitinandthenyou..... :p

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
You gotta problem with that Dan?
Now I understand the recommendation ;) Lotsa monies for Kawasaki & Wiseco & whoever else. Doh, what other scams can we come up with then?
Ah, so FMF, PC & whoever else manufactures pipes, pays Kawasaki to use a boat anchor stock, the springs manufacturers pay them to have a suckful setup, same with the stock bars (insert smiley)
Hmm, the greenies pay them to have the forks underhang badly so they've got ammo against us?
We should write to Kwakka & tell them we're onto them :) (and while we're at it, ask if they're going to update the bike).
Okay, submissions for the letter are now open (also a volunteer to deliver it hehehe).

Seriously though Dan, whenever we've done a top end on my bike, I've wanted to rip the head off to make sure the rings are seated properly ;) (no, I haven't been allowed & do know to leave it alone). And yes, I like to open the oven door even though it's something that's going to flatten if you open it too soon ;)
BTW, I used too many smilies, so add a few more in there.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I inspected mine after its break-in ride, because at the time I was paranoid about sucking in dirt and ruining the motor. I wouldn't do it if I were to buy a new KDX, and I haven't done it on the new Hondas I've purchased.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Dan, ya can, honest ;) It comes up with a message saying that you've used too many & to edit the post before it'll post. That might just be for subscribers, dunno, but I've had that message a few times now. Because I hardly ever "post reply" but just do the quick reply, I don't get to see all the smilies I can use either (hence mine are dull & the basic ones).
I know I've got a sick sense of humour & it doesn't come across well in the written word - I probably should use more smilies, but nah :debil:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I haven't touched mine.
'02 220 ridden hard.

It has been my experience that things that are working are best left alone.
Besides, wouldn't that have voided the warranty?

Karl

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
I must be the lucky/unlucky one. Bought a new KDX 200 did two heat cycles the bike seemed to be running good but I pulled the head to have the squish adjusted. Four miles on odometer.

Noticed that the cylinder had two deep scratches in the upper cylinder area about 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions as you view the cylinder from exhaust. The piston in the area of the cylinder scratches looked fine. Ring landings, ring locator pins, and rings were fine.

The intake side of the piston had a little scuffing in the center of it. The areas above and below the scuffing were fine. i.e. upper portion of the piston near the rings and the bottom skirt areas. The adjacent cylinder wall was fine.

Had to haul the bike down to the local dealer who did warranty it. New cylinder and piston. :aj: :cool:

This is the first new dirt bike that I every had a problem with.

kiktenminits

Mar 28, 2002
200/220 break in ring replacement

i was told by a motorcycle engine builder that kawasaki probably uses "a more aggressive" cylinder coating and the rings actually wear the cylinder walls in and hence the suggested ring replacement

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
It does seem kinda silly to replace the top end after breaking it in. It'd be like Ford saying to rebuild your engine after you break in your truck. I can see changing out all the fluids and such, but not rebuilding the top end. My bike is a 2000 KDX and is still running strong on original top end. I will only rebuild under 2 conditions:

1) Necessity
2) I have an extra couple hundred bucks

Happy trails!

NSPHIL

Nov 14, 2005
Green Hornet said:
Michelle-
New Poll:
How many DID NOT SUPPORT the KIPS Activator Rod when doing the Top-End and had to rip apart the right engine casings to repair :) :bang: :bang:

What kind of fella would do such a thing? :coocoo:

Kiddin Man. :rotfl:

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I have a 97 KDX 200 and never touched the top end after break in. The bike has continued to run excellent for going on 9 seasons without any major engine overhauls and is still on the original top end. The bike is great. However the last couple years I have used the bike very little as my focus has been on MX and I moved to the West Coast and dont have any trail riding buddies so I spend my time at the track.
I have read about people getting 10,000+ trail miles on the original top end without batting an eye!

NSPHIL

Nov 14, 2005
Yeah GH I saw the pics, tough break!

I bet there have been many others who have done the same but few that would admit. That freakin' nut is really on there too, especially if you forget it is a lefty thread.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Bought a 2004 kdx 220 new. Broke it in and rode it two hard summers without any problems. I did read the nitemare stories on here about the so called exploding factory piston. After speaking to numerous dealers and someone at kawasaki they were not aware of this. Now wonderting if a piston manufactuer started a rumor to make sales boom, or is the manufactuer of the bike not admiting to a real problem, I continued to ride it like i stole it. After two hard summers i did get some skirt noise and replaced it. I did the top end, broke it in and and have been out numerous times already this year thrashing it. Why tear it down, if its right its right, if its wrong you will know it. Now im wondering which gasket company has started the rumor to tear your bike down after rebuilding it LOL. I know its only worth a penny but thats my two cents. Long Live the KDX! What a joy to ride.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I rode my bike half a season (about 600 miles, 3/4 of which were easy road cruising). I tore it all down to have it ported and throw in a Wiseco. To my horror I found a single deep scratch in the cylinder wall. The rest of the cylinder and the piston looked fine. Closer inspection showed that the lower ring's end gap pin backed out of the piston and is what plowed the .040-.050 inch deep scratch. I had less than 2 weeks left on warrenty, and the dealer I got the bike from had gone away. I took a box of parts and my warrenty number to another dealer and had everything replaced in about 3 days. I was very happy.

Top Bottom