justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Are you Kidding???

My wrist is still not back to normal from last year down there. No really it was a good race, I just made a mistake. I will probably not be going since we are putting on the Golden Eagle, the week before and it's a twelve hour drive. I figure my wife would throw a fit since I am spending all of the weekend before at a race and made her drive home (got home at 3:00am) since I had a broke wrist.
If we get 200 riders at ours I'll go (my club won't kill me if we get that many)
Have fun:)

P. Pinestraw

Jun 28, 2001
I'll be there ...

for sure. I plan on jogging 7-8 miles a week to train for the heat & humidity. I am currently lifting weights & using the sauna & steam bath to get a start. I have been doing this since June & I found it REALLY helps with hot races, but it also gave me an advantage at 12,000 ft. @ the Colo. natnl. enduro.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
I'll be there Sat. afternoon. I'll most likely do the late row thing again. It's worked so far this year so why change. Keep our fingers crossed for a cool front to pass through. 95+ is torture!

P. Pinestraw

Jun 28, 2001
The earlier the row at Breezy ...

Hill, the better! Key time is 8:01 I believe. That is nearly the coolest time of the day. Those who start on rows 40+ will have an extra hour of mid-day heat to reckon with. I preregistered about 4 months ago, so I expect to be inside row 10. I can't wait--the bike is dialed in perfectly too ! Goody, goody!

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
I'll be there. I'm on row 5. Looking forward to it. I rode it last year...wasn't too bad...just some spots of dust. I think I'm going through some kind of withdrawal sickness not having an enduro to ride every other weekend. I'm ready to ride!!!

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I'll be coming over along with Lemming to ride on row 32.
It's our first trip to Breezy Hill; what's the terrain like?
Is it similar to Fort Polk?

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
'File, (Mark)

I rode it last year and 5 years ago. Last year's course was much tighter than the one 5 years ago. It shouldn't be too hard for you guys the REALLY tight stuff came after the short course cut-off. Terrain and soil wise, it's very similar to Ft. Polk and Forest Hill.

I'll be in Calgary Canada for a family wedding so I won't be making this race.

BTW, Mark, Do you know where Lemming is? I thought that I would see you guys down at Clanton this past Sunday. We were down there cutting trail for our Enduro in Oct.

See ya.

CNM

Sponsoring Member
Dec 28, 1999
Tim,

No, I'm going to stick with the XR for the ramaining of the races. I've thought about maybe bringing the KDX to Wiggins but I'm not sure. I've ridden it from time to time but never in a race situation. Besides, it still needs a top end. Guess I better get busy on that. :silly: It looks like if I want the bike running again, I've got to do it myself. :p :p

I was on the last row (75) last year at this race and the heat was pretty bad. I really didn't notice until I finished the race and went back to the truck. That's when the nausea, dizziness, and tunnel vision started. I may have to re-think my row selection this year. :think

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Tim,
Lemming is on vacation somewhere in Colorado. He'll be back by this weekend I think. I couldn't come down to Clanton because my wife was out of town and kid duty. Can't wait to ride the new stuff; those old trails are getting pretty worn out.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Mark,

We've cut a bunch of re-routes around the rutted up stuff. Also, we've cut a bunch of the briar bushes and vines out of the way. We worked on the first 9 miles of the course this past weekend. This is on the Petty Farm/Barn/Powerline side of the road. The stuff that we usually ride second when we're trailriding down there.

I think you'll like the conditions of the trails. The Porter Clan is working on the creek side trails.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Will there be any "phantom" checkpoints this year?:p

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
What was the deal with the "phantom" check? I rode this race last year, and I remember there being some kind of comotion about something. Then, the next thing I know, Kevin Hutchinson is apologizing to everyone for something. What happened??

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Tim, I was hoping that someone would "bite" and discuss the "phantom check" a little bit. Either no-one is listening, no-one knows, or no-one cares! I have Kevins' side of the story "We wuz wronged!" I would like to hear the other side.

BCooper

Aug 9, 2000
I'll be there ready to go. Hopefully, it will be around 98 degrees with a heat index of around 110. :eek: I just hope it's not dusty!!!!!

What's the deal with the "phantom check"? Let's hear "the rest of the story"

Coop

BCooper

Aug 9, 2000
The dust may not be an issue since Tropical Storm Barry is in the gulf and could strengthen to hurricane status. This TS could prove to be a blessing with a good watering down of the course :) ; but then again, it could also dump a ton of rain and cause a cancellation of the event. :(
We shall wait and see!!! Just take it easy on the rain dances!!!!

Coop

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
wfo,

What I posted in my previous post is "literally" all that I know about the story. I think that the check in question was the one with the camoflague tarp. I remember going through that check. I remember a check being thrown out for scoring. We left early for the long drive back to Birmingham.

Then, there was something going around the SERA e-mail distribution list, but I wasn't able to follow what was going on.

Was the check in the wrong place? Was the check not supposed to be there at all? I don't get it. Any info about the incident would be good.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
you WANT 98 degrees, bcooper? you are not a well man!

i wasn't at the enduro & don't know the people, but i read all of the emails last year. looked to me like a "who's the boss" dispute about what checks there would be. it sure got heated/involved/extended; this is supposed to be fun, right?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Tim; the best I can tell is the check was placed against the wishes of the club referee. So the club threw out the check along with the offending members. Held back some bonus points. I hear that they were to be drawn and quartered, but couldn't get an executioner.
All of that is fine in my book with the exception of throwing out a perfectly good check. That kind of sticks in my throat. I am loath to throw out a check. Ask around Birmingham!
Anyway, I was hoping to hear a little discussion about the famous "phantom check"!!
Lawman; how do you get all the Emails? Is there a SERA webring or group or something?

Top Bottom