Bridgestone Ends AMA SX/MX Support

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
MXA is reporting

SHOCKING NEWS: BRIDGESTONE BRAND TO CEASE SUPPLYING TIRES TO AMA SUPERCROSS AND MOTOCROSS COMPETITION

After eighteen successful seasons of competition in AMA Supercross and Motocross, the Bridgestone brand has made the decision to discontinue offering its tires to the two series, effective at the end of the 2009 AMA motocross season in September. This decision, while difficult, was a direct result of the current economic crisis.

“In making this announcement, we would like to thank the hard working teams, individuals and Bridgestone staff who have contributed to the great success the Bridgestone brand has enjoyed in AMA competition through the years,” commented Bob Graham, Senior Manager, Motorcycle Products, Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations. “While we have made this decision somewhat early in the season, rest assured that riders on Bridgestone brand tires can expect the same level of performance and service throughout 2009 to which they have been accustomed. We have our sights firmly set on adding to our Supercross and Motocross championship tally this year. By letting our teams know of our exit now, they will have ample time to make necessary arrangements for 2010 and beyond.”

Since 1991, riders on Bridgestone brand tires have won ten AMA Supercross and 20 AMA 250 East/West Championships, as well as 11 450 Motocross and ten 250 motocross championships. Great names like Jeremy McGrath, Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart and Chad Reed have ridden Bridgestone-brand tires to numerous victories over the years, and Bridgestone-shod riders have claimed the last five Supercross and last four Motocross championships.

“Even though we are ceasing our involvement for the time being, the Bridgestone brand has left an indelible mark in the world of off-road motorcycle racing,” Graham continued. “All the hard work put into the development and servicing of our tires has left a lasting legacy upon which we can look back with pride.”

ABOUT BRIDGESTONE AMERICAS TIRE OPERATIONS:
Nashville-based Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations (BATO) is a business unit of Bridgestone Americas, Inc., whose parent company, Bridgestone Corporation, is the world's largest tire and rubber company. Reporting into the BATO business unit are the company's Latin American tire operations, the U.S. and Canadian consumer tire businesses and the U.S. and Canadian commercial tire businesses. BATO develops, manufactures and markets Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires. The business unit is focused on retail, wholesale and original equipment markets, supplying passenger, light truck, commercial vehicle, off road, motorcycle, agricultural and other tires to its customers in the Americas. In addition, through its Bridgestone Bandag Tire Solutions unit, retreading customers have access to industry-leading research and development, manufacturing, marketing and sales expertise, providing them with a total tire solution.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I know times are tough, but I guess I won't be buying any Bridgestone tires in the near future.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
I know times are tough, but I guess I won't be buying any Bridgestone tires in the near future.

Pred - Doc, after the operation will I be able to play the piano?

Dr. Hackenbush - Sure Pred, you'll be able to play the piano

Pred - That's strange, I couldn't play it before. :whoa:

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
I feel the same as XRpredator.No support for the sport,no support from the sport.Sucks too I like Bridgstones.These are big multi-billion dollar companies backing out.Surely customers mean more than stock holders?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's hard times.

If sponsoring MX and SX still makes economic sense, some other sponsor will step up to replace them.

I'm reluctant to wish ill on a long time sponsor, just because they were forced to cut back. They'll be back some day, provided they still make knobbies in the future (which they might not if everyone stops buying their stuff).

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
TRexRacing said:
I feel the same as XRpredator.No support for the sport,no support from the sport.

So an 18 year committment, and a huge amount of advanced warning so the series can find a substitute sponsor DOESN'T count as support?

You kill me. :rotfl:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
So an 18 year committment, and a huge amount of advanced warning so the series can find a substitute sponsor DOESN'T count as support?

I don't buy Winstons anymore either, Rich, cuz of them discontinuing their relationship with NASCAR.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I wonder what other factors are going on here besides the economy. The majority of top teams use Bridgestone but go into most shops and what do you find? Around here you pretty much have to special order Bridgestone while the shelf is full of Dunlop tires.

I also wonder how much the fact Bridgestone just won a 3 year contract as the MotoGP Spec tire to go along with already owning F1 played into the decision on where to spend their money?

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
I would say F1 and MotoGP wouldn't be a bad place to put your money so I can't blame them for it. If they feel that there money is better spent on those sports rather than sx/mx (which it probably is given the huge global audience they reach) then they made the right choice. I'm sure they won't quit making knobbies but rather cut back on all the sponsorship money they dish out. I would guess that you could still get them at your dealer so don't panic yet. Just my $.02

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
As soon as I get ahold of my Bridgestone rep/friend/riding buddy, I'll pass along whatever info I can.

I left him a message when I read the first post here Chili, but he's out tearing up some dirt between races.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:

And during those 18 years I bought a lot of Bridgestone tires.They stopped.I stopped.Will I return?Good question.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I will buy whatever tire is best & affordable. So far for me it is Bridgestone.

Top Bottom