acesnkush

Apr 29, 2006
I was wondering if any of you bring your dog on riding trips. I just got one and I ride quite often. I was thinking about going with the dog. I guess it depends on the temperment of the dog, but just wondering if dogs are mostly chill with allthe dirtbike sounds around, and people riding by. My dog has a good temperment, havent started my bike in front of it yet (wonder how thats going to go), but she should be ok.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I take mine on all riding trips that are longer than just a day ride...sometimes she gets to go on day trips.

Most of our rides out here are more than 1 day and there is usually a handful of dogs. I have only seen 3-4 dogs that maybe shouldn't have been there!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We always take our dogs along on racedays (often all weekend) and they seem to really look forward to it. I know the lab gets excited whenever he hears a bike start up and the terrior loves to sit along the fence and watch the bikes go by. They both love the attention they get from everybody there.
Now the rules we adhere to
1) they are always on a leash
2) they have plenty of shade and water as well as a place to get away when they want to
3) they only go to tracks that allow dogs- we never sneak them in
4) ALWAYS CLEAN UP AFTER THEM IMMEDIATELY- NOT IN A FEW MINUTES
5) make sure if you leave them in the pits not only are they safe but also people walking by
6) always make sure you are there if there are any kids that want to meet them

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Back when we raced jet skis, my friend had this Golden Retriever, "Bud". He would start packing his motorhome on about Wednesday, Bud would go and sit in his seat (in the coach) all day, didn't want to get left behind. Good times :)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
My dog is small and ugly... He smells bad, too. It's a West Highland Terrior or something... Not a very good dog for taking on riding trips. The point is, you not all dogs are capabale of going on a riding trip and you need to weigh your characteristics. Some dogs can take a leash all day long while others will get bored and go flippin' crazy!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Daisy

She is a Minpin, loves to go racing, hates quads,bites overweight girls calves and hates pitracers! Just like my wife though she would rather watch than ride!

Attachments

• Dasiy1.jpg
    Dasiy1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 172

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
"My dog is small and ugly... He smells bad, too...."
:rotfl:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Tried taking my Boxer before........can't do it. We get in fights over who gets to hump my bike.

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
Are you wanting to let the dog run along with you while you ride? Kinda looks that way reading your post.
If so be careful about the condition of the dog. Dogs can have heart attacks from "over doing it". Of course your dog isn't going to think through the full force running as long as it's having a good time. You've got to make that judgment call for him.
Second thing to consider. Does the dog have the common sense not to run out in front of you? That could possibly end up in you killing your dog, or even your dog killing you.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I take my dogs on trips to the desert. They aren't bothered by the noise at all. I am sure that every dog is different, though. I always let mine off the leash and let them wander about since we are in the middle of nowhere. A friend did the same thing, however, and his dog took off and was never seen again!

Now, here is a guy that takes "bring your dog" to an entirely different level!

(I haven't inserted pictures before, I hope that works. if the picture doesn't appear, look here:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/rmcinnis@sbcglobal.net/photo/294928804246387724/0
)

That was at last year's Adelanto Gran Prix!

Rod

Attachments

• dog_racer_sm.JPG
    dog_racer_sm.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

letsride24-7

Aug 10, 2006
My buddy had a Vizsla. It got really big, it used to drag his dog house around chasing us on our 80's and three wheelers.. Well lets just say that sucka would hide in the bush or break through the electric fence and hide out in our woods track when he was not in the house.. I can't even count the # of times that thing would jump out from where it was hiding to bite the front tire on what ever you were on. Bike three wheeler it would even go after cars. And when it would grab on to the KX80 front tire it didn't care if your were 5-6 gear you would come to a stop. Well the bike would you would land about 20+ feet in front from going over the bars.. He was the coolest dog to ride around, always keep you on your toes.. RIP Elliot

acesnkush

Apr 29, 2006
Now not at all, i wouldnt want my dog running after me while riding. I most akways do desert riding, so sh will be on a leash. Just wondering about how dogs generally are when you take them.

Squirrel Girl

Oct 17, 2006
When we go riding (overnighters) we have had up to 9 dogs with our group and they're all well behaved, used to bikes being around. The only one with issues is MY dog of course, because he loves to run, in his younger years I would take him on some loops that had creeks to stop on the way for water, but now that he's older I have to have him restrained till my bike is out of earshot. He won't follow anyone else's bike though.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
One time at Byron,Il., a buddy,Sad Joe brought his german sheperd to the races. I was a awakened by some guy in a tent yelling; get off me #itch,quit licking me .go to sleep and on and on for 20 minutes, me and my girlfriend were dying laughing and so was half the camp, they thought he was talking to a female!!! Pets are part of the family and should use extra caution for them and others.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
cawkazn said:
The correct way to spell it is not **** zu it is shih tzu

That's rich.. You can get the spelling of a breed of dog right, even when it's that odd of a spelling, yet you can't manage supposed.

Excellent. ;

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
the dog on the bike pic is really interesting.

dogs are like people, all different personalities. At DW, you had the ones running around getting in the trash. But then in '05 we had neighbors with a very friendly, polite chihuahua.

other people's barking dogs drive me nuts...I get enough of that at home from my neighbors. If your dog barks, no offense but leave it at home. I think once you have had a really good dog, it's sort of a curse because you realize how crappy many other peoples' dogs are...but then sometimes it's the training.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
i seen a dog that rode with his owner on the back of a road motorcycle. he could take him for hours and he wouldn't act up, or anything. was the smartest dog i've seen. he was fun to play with on the beach too...it's amazing how smart some of them are.

xcracer725

Jun 2, 2004
When i first started riding on my tt-r 90 (when my dog could keep up) shed go anywhere id go and wouldnt leave without me. If i got stuck out in the woods bymyself when it was getting darking shed sit right beside me. Whenever i start up the YZ now she starts barking and cries. Good times, hell she still kinda follows me.

Top Bottom