Broken Kickstart shaft Common?

Langf

Sep 25, 2002
Recently my 98 KX250 Kickstart shaft broke while iwas kicking it. is this common for this year KX? I was told at the parts shop that alot of 98 KX250's come in for repair after the kickstart shaft has snapped. Does anyone know what may have caused it to snap? or is it just a common fault on the bike like i was told at the parts shop? cheers

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Mightbe ? I dunno but I broke mine on my 98 KX250 this past year! Mine looked like it had been cracked for a little while before it broke. Not a hard repair just time consuming, have to take the right side cover off to do it.

Langf

Sep 25, 2002
Ill be doing mine this weekend. Todd do you have to remove the clutch aswell?

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
Yup, watch how the return spring with the round plastic piece inside comes off, that's the part I had the most trouble with getting right.

Langf

Sep 25, 2002
Well i sarted stripping it today and the Old shaft came out without removing the clutch, is this normal? I havnt removed the clutch yet because im borrowing a clutch holder tomorrow.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i have seen this before with kx250's no to big of a deal to fix but as for why it broke oviously kawaski needs to fix this if they havent already

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
i broke mine on my KX125. It snapped and stripped the threads and had to get the shaft replaced.

Erik

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
No, doesn't sound normal?! Even if you got it out somehow I don't believe you can replace it without removing the clutch and right cover?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…