jandm'smom

Feb 16, 2006
My son got a 2003 XR100 recently . We felt the back wheel being alittle wobbly, and checked it out to find 5 broken spokes. First question, do we have to change all of them out, or just the 5? Second question, what special tools do we need. Third, these are 16's, and we are having a hard time finding this size seems like 17's and up are the popular ones. Anyone have a website that sells these, and can give you better directions? Thanks for any info.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
it depends on the lacing pattern - there are typically inner and outer spokes (ie, nipple facing inward vs nipple faces outward) - you'll find that dependent on which spokes are broken, you may have to remove those around it to be able to get to the ones that you need. You'll need to remove the tire, the rim strip - you'll need spoke wrenches - a truing stand helps but its not necessary. Assuming the shop sells them individually, you can replace them accordingly - check bikebandit . com or one of the other big parts sites. As a mechanic I'd want to know why they are breaking. Usually if they are too tight or too loose they will break - OR if the bike is being ridden NOT in the method intended (ie jumping large jumps) - OR if you son weight is too much for the bike they can break.

jandm'smom

Feb 16, 2006
When checking the rest of the spokes on the rear they were to loose. My son weighs 65 lbs. so we know it isn't that, and still isn't jumping (not very aggressive yet). We are going to have to assume it was because they loose. We did finally find a Honda shop here that will sell them individually so we grabbed those, and some extras. The nipples are still in good shape, and because the spokes broke from the other end. We are going to try and replace the spokes using the old nipples, not sure how this will work. Thanks for your reply, and hopefully this will fix it.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
you should have no issue re-using nipples. most of the stuff from honda is packaged with the nipples so if you have em use em, if not. don't worry about reusing what you have. be careful and use the right size wrench - they strip easily.

Apr 14, 2005
I've recently broken 1 single rear spoke on my KTM 125.. I've already ordered the spoke... What's this about a spoke wrench??? Same tool as the little circle with the different nipple-size gaps around the perimeter??

Butcher-Boy

Feb 18, 2006
I broke a single spoke on my yz. The dealer told me if I replace just the one, the ones next to it would break. wether or not there is any truth to this I don't know. Something to think about.

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
The best thing to do is get a whole new set of Excel spokes. Their nipples are notched/splined and use a specific spoke wrench that comes with the nipples. It's great because they never strip out.

I had a couple broken spokes on my rear rim. I replaced them, and then others started to break. Save yourself taking the tire off and on several times and replace them all at once. Put some grease inside the nipple when you thread it on too. They'll stay tight and you don't have to worry about them corroding and seizing up.

Top Bottom