longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I met and spoke briefly with Buddy Antunez today at Elsinore. The guy was nice as could be, and of course was flying around that track (big surprise).

I guess it's old news that he's going to Supercross this year, but I for one can't wait. I found out about Arenacross for the first time this year, and became a huge fan of his. Then at the OC Fairgrounds he beat a couple of Supercrossers who showed up for the arena-style track. I always thought, just based on how dominant he's been in the arenas, that he would be able to hold his own against the big boys. I still do. But now, of course, we'll see . . . For one, I wish him well and welcome a new name comin' in the side door to Supercross.

Go Buddy!!!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
It is about time, now I can go get me a Road Champs action toy and bike for the lil one ! :)

Moo

Jul 23, 2001
Yeah... I always wondered whether Antunez would ever move to SX. I mean the murderous whoops in arenacross and the short runs... I bet he'll do pretty well.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Don't remember which one it was, but he did run an SX last year... I think he discovered just how fast the big boys are... he scored a mid pack finish.

Just goes to show ya, even the lappers are fast at that level, the top dogs are just on another planet.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Antunez has had plenty of chances in supercross already. It's not like he's a rookie or just getting a crack at the big time. There's a very good reason he went to arenacross in the first place. He wasn't doing very well in the big-time and arenacross was a way for him to make a nice living racing. He's always been a good racer and I'm sure he'll do okay in the supercross races, but I don't think he'll be any real threat.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Bob is right - Buddy and fellow AX rider Denny Stephenson were factory Suzuki teamates in the early '90s on the national and SX circuits. His last season before going to AX, Buddy was 19th overall in the 250 SX series on a privateer Honda.

Buddy and several other top AX racers occasionally attempt an SX. When they qualify for the main they rarely break into the top 12.

Buddy is a sensational rider and a great ambassador to the sport, but he will be fortunate to stay on the same lap as RC and Jeremy.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
So, is he going to give the entire SX season a run? Or will he just run an occasional race? I'd really like to see him do well. I love watching him in Arenacross.

By the way, are some of us saying that Arenacross riders can't cut it on the SX/MX circuit? Are we also saying that holds true for Tommy Hofmaster? If anybody is implying that, they had better watch out for Mr. Gerhard Ward, as he's bound to take those as fighting words!! ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
No disrespect is intended to any pro racer, and Hofmaster has his best years ahead of him. Anyone who races at that level is super-human.

But the record is clear - top 3 speed in AX might not get you into the main at a 250SX. It has been that way since the Dennis Hawthorne era. He dominated the early years of AX yet never won a national or SX.

The AX guys are amazing, but the top SX and national guys are the best and much faster.

Best wishes to Buddy, Tommy and anyone else making a go of it in SX.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Okie's got a good point. I remember back when Larry Brooks was a top 15 Nationally ranked rider and I got the chance to ride with him on his practice track. I was in total awe of his speed and ability, yet he couldn't even hold a candle to the likes of McGrath, Windham or Lusk. Those top 3-4 guys are unREAL!

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
It's all about training. The AX races are very short moto's. The AX guys have a hard time doing the 15 or 20 full sized SX laps.

If Buddy thinks he's going to stuff his way around an SX track like he's used too.... Lastly, he won't have the best bike on the track like he's used to. That being said, I hope he does the 125 class. I think he'll do better there.

Denny Stephenson won a 125 east SX title in the late 80's or early 90's. He then decided that he liked money and girls way more than training! Who can fault him for that?

jayrome

Aug 23, 2001
AX is the minor leagues in the pro ranks, and if you look at the results the AX guys post in the show it isn't good. If anybody remembers the 2000 US open of Supercross in Vegas, you will rememnber that the track and the announcers were all set for Buddy to do well. He finished at the back of the pack in that race, and the track was suited to the AX racers. Don't get me wrong those guys are extremely fast, but when you compare them to the SX guys they are going to get beat most of the time.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Okie:
Don't remember which one it was, but he did run an SX last year... I think he discovered just how fast the big boys are... he scored a mid pack finish.

I think it was Pedro Gonzales, and he got his paranoid, mystical, superstitious ass kicked....BAD... (okay, descriptive enough?) I think him and his bar-swinging garlic death-stick came in 15th or so, not sure. Not too bad, but considering he is usually 2,3 or even 1 in Arenacross, there's no comparison. :silly: I think Buddy's going to embarass himself. And I think a lot of his little kid fans (the little KTM riders that swarm the track at Arenacross halftime) are gonna go away disappointed.

He then decided that he liked money and girls way more than training! Who can fault him for that?

Adda' boy. :D
:cool:

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Thanks for the additional info, DBD and the rest of you. I had no idea he was an SX rider many years ago. Makes sense though.

Personally I'm still gonna pull for him, and every top-10 finish will be a victory/vindication of the minor leagues in my book.

Nephron -- he has grown up fans, too. And I don't think losing in that company would be an "embarassment" -- do you?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Agree.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
If I recall, Buddy finished about 9th in the Las Vegas Open of 2000. not great, but alot better than I thought he would do... This year he will get FULL factory support from Suzuki in the 125 class. I dont think he will dominate, but if he does build up and endurance, he may be able to podium, remember, from what I have read, he was racing the RM125, not the 250's with MC or RC... This doesnt mean it will be any easier, but I think his chances will be better with the likes of Travis moving up and as well as folks like Ramsey..I think Buddys thinking is that his age is catching up and this is the last shot he has at capturing a sx run. I'd like to see him do well just to run out his career. Even though 5 AX crowns are impressive, it is compared to the minor leagues..... Time will tell. .

Top Bottom