IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Lots of dirt clay, D4, Front Loader, bobcat and someone with experience running the equipment.

Unless you don't want big jumps..

My track was built with a 1954 Ford 600 tractor, Disc Harrow, Box Grader and a lot of sweat.

I don't have any jumps, other than what nature provided, but it's one of the best private practice tracks in Indiana. (what others have said)

Look me up on youtube (GTINDY) for videos on the track.

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
Thanks. Equipment and experience is no problem. My dad owns a dozer and backhoe business. I worked with him for 10 years. And we have plenty of dirt. I was just curious if there was anything special I needed to know

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'd look at other tracks that you have ridden and try to follow what they have done.

Big gap jumps are dangerous. A friend of mine has a gnarly SX style track in his back yard, yet he'd rather come ride on my track, because it's safer and more fun. Leave the big "go or die" jumps to the pros.

One of our local public tracks just changed all but one gap jump to tables. They got tired of watching less experienced riders leave their place in an ambulance.

Otherwise, use clay for your jump faces and berms (not top soil), and experiment.

The steeper the face, the higher you will go, and the more it will hurt if you screw up. About 30 degree angle on the faces of jumps and you should be safe.

It might just be me, but for a good track layout, I'd rather get the line down, then go back later and add obstacles to the track where they need to be, rather than just arbitrarily putting jumps in. Put your jumps in where you need something to slow the rider down.

My track has a nice fast open section, and a tight twisty slow section.. In a couple weeks it'll have a fast scary woods section. Can't wait.

Whatever you end up doing, make your track fun.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
it has been debated before several times. if you use the search function you will get lot more info.

click on this link:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=143695&highlight=building+track

is a very good and informative thread.

i agree with indy, table tops are the way to go. myself, being a slow rider, find very difficult to improve some skills with doubles and triples, you make it or don´t. best way to do some doubles is to go with a experienced rider (my buddy is a very fast rider) and ask him to show the needed speed to do the jump.

with table tops and large landings it speeds up very much the jumping skills. and keep in mind that is better to build something that is good and lasts for several years...

good luck building the track :cool:
take some pictures... ;)

TN94z

Oct 13, 2010
I don't want you guys to think I'm lazy, I did search but used the wrong terminology I suppose. The track will not have big jumps at all because I will be mainly building it for my 8 year old step son to ride on. I am an ex-racer and have done the big jumps before. Maybe in a few years we will add some but right now it's all about my 8 year old. Thanks guys

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
helio lucas said:
it has been debated before several times. if you use the search function you will get lot more info.

click on this link:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=143695&highlight=building+track

is a very good and informative thread.

i agree with indy, table tops are the way to go. myself, being a slow rider, find very difficult to improve some skills with doubles and triples, you make it or don´t. best way to do some doubles is to go with a experienced rider (my buddy is a very fast rider) and ask him to show the needed speed to do the jump.

with table tops and large landings it speeds up very much the jumping skills. and keep in mind that is better to build something that is good and lasts for several years...

good luck building the track :cool:
take some pictures... ;)
Whats with you "SEARCH NAZI'S"? If people don't come on here and ask questions there is no reason for us to interact with each other. No reason to interact, no reason for this site. Take it from someone who was around here in the heyday of this site, it needs traffic, its like a ghost town anymore. If all you want is a info repository, go hang out at the Smithsonian website.

bundy

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
don´t get me wrong bundy.
i gave the tm94z guy a link and sayd that if search deeper a lot of info comes.
maybe my fault, i should put the link before and nof after the "use search" tip...

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Take advantage of the lay of the land. Watch water crossings, there may be issues with putting soil in the water. Watch for erosion, use water breaks/small jumps, in down hill areas. Digging dirt out, below ground level, to make a jump may cause puddles. Adding berms can really change the flow of the track and help with erosion.

have fun.....
Dave

Top Bottom