Bush admin decides to keep the Roadless Initiative

I am beyond pi**ed about this! In case ou have not heard, Anne Venneman, new Head of the Department of Agriculture, this is the department that heads the United States Forestry Service, has declared that the Roadless Initiative, set in play by the Clinton Administration, will stay in place. She says that within the next few months, some new regulations will be put in place that will let some of the control for roads in the National Forests be placed in partial control of the local offices. I was so happy that Bush had been voted into office of Gore because of the premise that he would be less apt to sway towards the Enviro-Nazis. Any advice on what we should do now?!:o

Don't Sweat It

Bush is still on the corect side of the fence. Look at his hostile attitude towards CA's energy crisis. He is using CA's liberal government as the poor example it really is. I hope we never get Federal aid for this debachle. We finally have a President who is not only rational, but lacks the undesireable trait of thievery.

Over the next few years, the Greenies will feel the same fustration we felt with Klinton in office. Bush is from a big business lineage and is probably grooming his cabinet in preparation for the use of some new administrative tools. Bush's quest for fossil fuels and other energy sources is going to leave the Sierra Club walking the trail of tears. OHV enthusiasts will be dancing in the campgrounds.

I believe the "local control" of a lot of these roads will be an outstanding accomplishment. Farmers and people who thrive off of OHV tourist dollars will rightfully have a say as to what happens to their economies.

BTW, those of you who are not Blue Ribbon Coalition members, GET IT IN GEAR!!!!!!!

KDK :)

You think that us in Kali should be thankfull for local control?!:scream: Look at what great "control" they have exerted so far! They are some of the biggest proponents of the Roadless Issue. I feel as if Bush let us down in a very big way. Don't get me wrong, I would suppoert him over the alternatives (read any Democrat), but I see this as a slap in the face and a huge political move. In his, and the Republican Party for that matter, scope of trying to be bi-partisan are going to let the Left dominate the issue as they tend to paint with the broad brush of "we need to do it for the children"! I am aslo sickened at the thought that as a barganing chip for the Hispanic vote, he also is going to extend the "amnesty"(or illegal mariage)program". I realize this is way off topic, but I think it goes to show the point.

Magoo

Subscriber
I agree, I feel let down by this decision.
I'm suspicious that Bush is "letting them get one now," so that he can "get one later."
By that I mean that there is going to be a heck of a fight for the oil drilling Bush wants in Alaska; by giving in on this one (the Roadless Initiative) now, he can save for the battle he really wants to win (Alaska oil development).
A nasty trade-off to be sure, but (I think in the scheme of things) an important one.
I still feel like I've been kicked in the shin. The modification allowing for local control (whatever THAT is), does give *us* a chance in our own backyard, though. I've been working with the Recreation Manager of our local National Forest to ensure the ability of ORVers to enjoy and recreate in our National Forest along with everyone else, and thus far, we have made very positive progress. I should think this will continue given the latest.

You guys are right, but also wrong, about this.

Bush is being massacred for his stands so far on "the environment". They are completely common-sense based, but the media has such an axe to grind, and they can find nothing else to complain about, that they have chosen this. The special interest, heavily-funded environmental groups are, expectedly, adding swill fuel to this pig-like party.

Yet what did GW do anyway? Overturn the roadless initiative. HELLO, PEOPLE . . . WHEN WE FOUGHT THIS, OUR MAIN ARGUMENT WAS THAT THESE THINGS SHOULD BE HANDLED ON A LOCAL LEVEL -- NOW THEY ARE GOING TO BE -- geez, give a guy credit, will you please, when he joins our position, and runs a huge political risk in doing so?

p.s. I think that much of the confusion may be based in (gasp!) the reporting. Read different accounts of this for different perspectives. And use this as yet another example/reason to distrust the media. Please.

KWJams

Subscriber
Excellent point LT,
The enviros are not exactly jumping up and down-- dancing in the streets. :cool:

Believe me, I do not even attempt to watch our wonderfull "Big 3" betworks! My bone of contention with this is as long as these "last hour" attempts by Klinton to push an agenda he had no desire to actually back continue to be held up, Bush will be in a no-win situation. The Church of Liberalism and the Greenies already don't like because he does not have a D after his name, and the more conservative among us are starting to lose favor because he is already waffling on some of his campaign issues. My biggest worry comes ffom hoping he will not cow-down like the Republican "led" Congress before him. Until the Republican party starts to stand a fight like the Demo's do, we will never be in true control. I know that both of you, KT & LT, might be a little more rational than me, but when it comes to politics, I think that Conservatives need to be as pro-active as the Lefties are. Bush will continue to masacred by the media regardless of his stance because the mainstream media that the majority of the "Sheeple" are brainwashed into watching continue to spew their own personal agenda. If you can't tell by my tone, I am infuriated, as I'm sure that the rest of the Kalifornians can tell you, that the Liberals continue to force their agenda down our throat!
BTW, LongTime, I posted in the other forum my congratulations on the career move! Hope everything goes well for you. And aslo, SEMPER FI!! :p

ANTI EXAMPLE

KLXspode,

What I was trying to say is the rest of the U.S. looks at Kalifornia as an anti-example of how they want to live. I ride in the other western states more often then I ride here. On several occasions I have had to explain that I live in K.A. and am only here for the money. This state is a non-stop comedy show.

I assist in the deportation of people every single day that are here illegally and draining our economy with their gang banging and wife beating. I can only say it's inconcieveable that people here support felons who jump the border. K.A. is crowded and getting worse.

That's just one example of this gathering of people. Bush sees this state for what it is. A lost cause. He is allready pointing the finger and laughing at K.A. when it(we) asked for federal aid for our energy fiasco.

"No man(or state) is completely useless, they can always serve as a bad example."

BTW, I have 45 days off coming up soon. If anyone wants to go to central and Northern Nevada, let me know.

SEMPER PERATUS or something like that.

KDK;)

We were betrayed! I don't care how you try to rationalize the roadless problem. We got laid without even being kissed! It's too bad Bush is just another groomed politician. I thought I was voting for something else.:(

KWJams

Subscriber
I received a letter the other day from my Senator explaining that by caving into some of this stuff, it was actually the best way for Bush to handle the issue.
The theory is that once everything becomes a fact, then they can not back track on it and we end up getting what we want in the end. :confused: OK!

XR650Rider; June 9th there will be a race near Wells,NV

KW,

Thanks for the heads-up on wells.

I am seeing this the same way you are. Unfortunately, future-pacing an outcome around here is a thankless endeavor. We will just have to hang around the campfire and rehearse our "I told you so speech."

Until then, I'll be riding the high desert.

KDK

KWJams

Subscriber
Yep, rolling over and giving up on something so we can get something back later on --- maybe! :confused

HERE is a link with info on that race June 9th