kneescraper

Jan 11, 2008
I just got back from the ButtStomper up at the Reiter area. I have a new found respect for anybody that rides in that area.

I had always considered myself a pretty good rider.(Until now) I can go through Tahuya and Capital forest at a clip that none of my friends, or most people we come across can keep up with. I was severely humbled at this event.

The trail was nothing more than roots and rocks with orange arrows stuck to some trees. And just so you never had a chance to catch your breath, any distance that didn't have said roots and rocks, was rutted out deep enough to grab the footpegs.

After the first 100 yards, my riding buddy informed me that his 24 hours was already over and that he was taking the first road back to the truck. He wasn't going to move for a while, so he told me to go ahead. Unfortunately for him, the first road was a few miles away. He probably lost 5 pounds of sweat just getting to that road. Not wanting to be a sissy, I figured, it can't be this bad all the way and continued on. I still had almost 23 hours 30 minutes to go.

When I got to the first check point, I asked one of the wonderful people that put this on if the trail stayed this difficult the entire way. He said "No." While I can't say that that Dirty Bast#@d was a liar, he wasn't entirely truthful. It got worse. I spent the next few miles bouncing off trees, rocks, and roots. I picked my bike up off of the ground more in that afternoon than my entire riding life. (I am 43) My thumb still has a blister from the electric start button. If it wasn't for that little magic button, I may still be out in the forest, crying.

At the riders meeting, they made mention of a new "downhill" that was added. I had been up and down so many hills that I didn't give it another thought. I was too busy fighting roots, rocks, ruts and dodging plastic panels of riders who had been here before me. Then I came upon some people who had walked in and were holding cameras. If you have done much riding, you know that people holding cameras is never a good sign. They are only there if there is going to be something to take a picture of. It didn't look too bad at first. I think this hill was shaped like an actual ball. By the time it starts to get real steep, it is too late to make any changes. It is too late to stop and get off. The only way to stop was to hit a tree. I was petrified. I didn't want to release the death stab I had on the rear break, keeping it locked, but with the need to steer being so important, I had to. This was like a double diamond ski run, only with trees in the way. LOTS of trees. This was survival. When I got to the bottom, almost 1/4 of a mile, I was happy to just be dodging the rocks and such. I was just thankful to be alive.

A few minutes later, I was back at the start with one lap down. 1 hour and 10 minutes for the lap. Get this......... Only 8 miles!!!

I went back to the truck to take a break. The rules say you only have to do a lap every 4 hours. I figured I would visit with my pal and then head out again. It took my buddy another hour to get back to the truck. His bike didn't have a magic button. When he got back, he had no back fender, no front brake lever, and only half of a clutch lever. And he only did 2.2 miles of the course.

I never did go back out. The more I sat there, the more I realized that there was no way in Heck I was going to do that Downhill in the dark. I was a quitter. The ButtStomper Stomped me.

For those of you who ride the Reiter area, I look up to your skills and abilities.

Top Bottom