Sep 8, 2008
atm my son has a rm 85 and i found a kx 85 in real nice shape

i found out the the kx 85 has 2 rings and the rm has one ring

which would mean it would last longer ?

just wondering to buy another rm or buy a kx instead

thx

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
well, they're both good bikes. They are both designed similarly. They both have smaller sprockets than yamaha and honda, so they are more pushed toward trail riding. But you can either do MX or trails with them. There is no wear difference between the rings really. Honestly, I would go for the best looking one, They are almost the same bikes.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The Zook has better bottom end, but they are both fine machines. Unlike the CR and YZ, they both have powervalves. One thing to remember, the RM's outside rear brake pad isn't exactly held in place, and can wear down enough that it simply falls out. I also have never liked that way that the right side shroud is a part of the fuel tank. It could easily stall from fuel starvation long before the tank is empty. The KX cradles the tank inside the frame. If you don't like the gearing, you are more than welcom to buy a new sprocket that better suits your type of riding. The extra ring may provide better sealing at the expense of more friction. I would say that it is a trade off, and with the engineering that has gone into all MX bikes, it has little effect in the end if it is kept stock.

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
here is a picture of the 04 kx
looks good

kx.jpg

rmrider45

Sep 8, 2008
i bought the 04 kx for jr . the sprocket is bigger on the back than the rm my son has
the bike is mainly stock except the fmf pipe bigger sprocket and bars. strange thing is it seems this bike stock at 85cc has way more bottom end than my sons rm85 (bored to a 105 )

bike is in like new condition . raced in 06 and sat for 2 years because the girl lost interest in racing. very well maintained bike.

? what would that bike be worth to one of you guys if you was buying it ?

Last edited:

Top Bottom