Buying a used KDX - how do you know

MarkWo

Feb 3, 2004
if you're buying an abused, no good bike?

I've searched the forum for this info and haven't really found it so I'll ask here.

I was going to buy a CRF230 but was talked out of it on this forum and was told to look for a used KDX. Sounds good to me and sounds like it is the right bike for me.

I know how to buy and sell a used car - been doing that for years and am quite comfortable knowing what is going to be a good buy and what vehicles to stay away from. I do not have any of this experience in buying a used bike. What do I look for? What questions should I ask? (and what answers should I want to hear)? Is a 1991 kdx automatically mean "old tired bike", does a highly modified bike automatically mean "raced hard, ready to break"?. Is the best time to buy a bike now or will there be more availability later in the Spring?

There are few KDX's available here in Minnesota and Wisconsin that I would like to look at but I would like to be more educated on how to buy a used bike prior to contacting these current owners. Oh yeah, kind of hard to take the bike for a test spin with all the snow on the gournd and the temps as low as they are right now?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark Wo

hart125

Dec 11, 2003
Make sure the engine has good compression.. from what I've seen kdx's have been abused but they can take a lot and usually haven't had too many hidden problems like race bikes are common for.. Look it over good..

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
1.wheels,straight,not bent,run true
2.forks,no bends,not leaking,run clickers all in,all out,compress as far as possible,listen for scraping grindingabnormal noise(kdx's make spring noise normal),no stripped pinch bolts,damping action normal.
3.frame,have someone hold bike upright,look for twist,are front and rear wheel on same plane,examine neck and subframe welds for breaks or re-welds,examine bike from rear does rear tire appear verticle with rear fender level above it (sub frame twist)any place multiple frame members come together look for cracks,foot pegs straight bent or broken.
4.triple tree,examine upper and lower clamps for cracks,rotate handle bars left to right listen for dry or damaged neck bearings,
5.brakes,pads,fluid,leaks master cylinders stripped screws,hoses
6.cooling system,remove shrouds are radiators or frame bent or broken,hose condition any dry rot,leaks,examine anti-freeze free of oil,condition of coolant(bad coolant causes corrosion of aluminium parts)
7.rear suspension,check shock for leaks,shock shaft bent,corroded or nicked,scratched
clickers all in,all out,damping and rebound normal,swing arm straight no bends breaks,compress,listen for grinding scraping,(not everyone greases their bike and swing arm bearings and linkage bearing are first to go)linkage check dog bones check upper shock mount check frame for cracks
8.engine,check drain plug leaking or stripped,transoil clean no antifreeze in it (white milky junk) leaks around head or base gasket,carb flange no dry rot or distortion from over tightening,head and base studs and nuts all there no stripped,engine mounting bolts all there,engine mounts no frame cracks,head stays proper,clutch cover no leaks bolts not stripped or snapped off,check out put shaft for leaks or bends check kick starter for bends cracks seal leaks check shifter shaft bends cracks seal leaks stripped examine air filter clean or dirty.
9.start engine warm-up, radiators warm water pump works,rattle from clutch side normal,shift into first slight whack is normal test ride shift through all gears feel for abnormalities,re check trans oil for coolant,test brakes,does bike ride true or pull to one side,
10.controls,throttle proper,bars straight,levers or perches broke,odometer work,cables smooth housings good,rear brake pedal proper .
11.tires chain sprocket brake pads are consumables and wear out having little to do with overall condition of bike.
12.plastics are a judgement call
this sounds like alot of checking and stuff but no one likes to get burned,if the seller has problems with a thorough exame you dont want to buy it.over all does bke appear to be taken care of.run good no breaks leaks bugger'd up fasteners un-done or shoddy repair etc.good luck.633

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom