Buying an '87 YZ 80, anything I should know or look for?

emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I currently ride a KLX 110 (not mine). This kid in my school is trying to unload a dirtbike on me, he doesn't really want it anymore, since he just picked up a CR 125. The bike is an '87 YZ 80. The top-end was rebuilt less then an hour ago, and he's still taking it a little easy on a motor. The plastics are all fine and he recently repainted them, but I think I'm gonna pick up some new ones for cheap anyways. The bike is fine mechanically and is bone stock. It comes with a few extra parts like an extra set of forks/bars, extra set of tires and rims, an extra clutch, and an extra stock pipe. He asked if I'd give him $300 for the bike and I told him sure, but I wanna see it and ride it first.

One question though, I thought all these bikes came with disc brakes? This one has drum front and rear on it, it's not a big deal to me, but just seems strange.

Also, is there anything I should know about or look for on these bikes? I'd like to be able to do all the work I'll need to on it, so if anyone knows where I could pick up a service manual that'd be great. If you have any other info lemme know.

Also, this same post is in 2 different forums because I wasn't sure where it should go, in the 2 stroke or in the mini section.

-Thanks, Brandon

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm not suprised it has drum brakes the bike is 20 years old! Picking up parts will not be as easy as for something within the past decade.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
emaxxer2002 said:
but I think I'm gonna pick up some new ones for cheap anyways. The bike is fine mechanically and is bone stock.
I don't think when you are able to find parts that they will be cheap. It will be difficult to get a lot of them

emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
Patman said:
I'm not suprised it has drum brakes the bike is 20 years old! Picking up parts will not be as easy as for something within the past decade.

I realize that, but I've ridden an '86 YZ 80 and it had disc, that's why made me think something might be up with this one.

oldguy said:
I don't think when you are able to find parts that they will be cheap. It will be difficult to get a lot of them

True, but other then things like small insignifigant parts I should be okay I think. Basic things that break or go often like brake/clutch handles, fork seals, etc should be relatively easy and able to swap with other YZ's. I can find rebuild kits no problem, but that shouldn't be anything I have to worry about for a while on this bike, the top-end is brand new. I can see other small things being a problem, but what routine things do you think I'd have trouble fiding? It seems like basic things are relatively easy to change, or interchangable.

Last edited:

emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
Well I think I'm gonna pick this bike up. For $300 you can't really go wrong, plus the top-end was just rebuilt, so the motor is in great shape.

I've been looking around, and it seems I can get almost any of the parts I'd need for this bike at sites like;

bikebandit
temeculamotorsports
worldofpowersports

Is there any reason I should really avoid this bike? I mean, it seems like it should be plenty easy to get basic parts for this bike after some searching on those sites and others.

-Thanks for your help so far, Brandon

Last edited:

jrswerkz

Sep 30, 2006
the bike is 1985 or earlier and you cant go wrong as i have a 1985 yz 80 and is a great bike and i find parts for it on **** all the time.Good luck

emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
jrswerkz said:
the bike is 1985 or earlier and you cant go wrong as i have a 1985 yz 80 and is a great bike and i find parts for it on **** all the time.Good luck

Where do you find your parts? Online or somewhere else?

deathpunk

Oct 3, 2006
Being one of the few who raced a YZ80 around here in the late 80s, I can tell you a few things about this bike. First off, echoing another poster, 1986+ YZ80's have a disc brake in front. 85 was the first year for the white plastic/red frame in the states (canadian and euro models had white plastic since the 70s...US had yellow through 84).

If your YZ80 had a red frame, no lower gas tank extension on the right side (petcock side, it should extend down whereas the -85 models did not), and a drum brake it is an 85. disc brake? 86.

The 87 YZ80 had very minor changes over the 86. In fact, the same aftermarket pipe can be used for all 86-92 models. Actually, the bike in general changed only a small amount from 83-92. I don't know why Yamaha gave up on the mini class in the late 80s but they did. They went from absolutely owning the class (and the 60 class in 81 and 82 with the YZ60 til the KX60 came out in 83) in the early 80s to handing it over to Kawasaki and Suzuki (KX80s ruled in 83-85, RM and CR80 after that with the YZ80 falling behind more every year). This generation of YZ80 had pretty antiquated suspension by 1990..essentially identical to the the 83.

Things to be aware of: water pump impeller gasket, also the common problem where coolant gets in the crankcase and makes an ugly sludge the bike will spit out the crankcase breather hose. The Z spokes on this bike are also typical 80s Yamaha annoying.

The smaller size of the bike makes it a great playbike or for those too big for a 60 and too small for most other 80s. A stock 87 CR80, when they were new, was almost 6 mph faster stock for stock, with stock gearing. Yikes. However, my bike even stock held its own on tight tracks, especially going up a few teeth in back (if i remember right, these bikes have something ridiculous like a 46 tooth rear stock). pipe, silencer, fresh rebuild, some porting and boyesens really woke it up...we also used to drill holes in the airbox the size of quarters and cover on the inside with fine mesh to get more breathing. Yamaha also sold an optional stiffer rear spring, might still be available.

Given that the bike is 99.999% the same as a 1992 (the 88 got a new flat top piston and perhaps some changes to the head/squish band?), and that there are billions of these bikes out there, parts should not be a problem.

emaxxer2002

Sep 22, 2006
Thanks man. That does help a lot actually for parts. The kid just did a rebuild, so I was definitely thinking just some reeds plus a pipe/silencer should definitely wake it up.

This kid is still not sure how much he wants for the bike, he said $300, I told him I'd do it, but he keeps asking for a little more. If I don't get this bike, I'm gonna look around for a few more mini's, I'll definitely keep in mind the RM and CR too, seeing as how you said they seemed to be better overall. I'll have to just see what else comes my why or if the kid will finally make up his mind.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom