Buying kdx200 ... budget for top end rebuid?

nmilne

May 30, 2005
Hi all ... I'm new here to the world of KDX's, as I'm just picking up a cheap second hand one tonight to be used as my trail-friend ... i've ridden road bikes for years but not dirt bikes and am just getting into it, so figured the KDX would be a good choice to go with. I also have a DRZ motard, but want something light and easy to use and which I dont have the hassle of swapping the gear over on so that I can get to work the next day :P

So, anyways, the bike is cheap but sounds a bit on the rattly side. Like someone has thrown a rock or two in it. Its a bit better when warm but still present. I've heard that the KDX's are a bit on the rattly side anyway, but its noticably more than, say, my KR-1S 250/twin track bike.

So should I ride this thing much before doing a top end on it? Its a 97 model and I dont know whether its had a top end done or not ... but i'd imagine probably not. I'm thinking that its probably worth doing just to be on the safe side, since the parts cost is relatively low and I do all my own work...

May 26, 2005
with a little shopping you can get a top end kit and gasket set for $150.00 to $175.00

You may want to figure another $40.00 in there for a service manual as well. The power valve assembly is quite tricky without a step by step guide. If it's never been rebuilt you will for sure want to dis-assemble the power valve setup clean it good and put it back together.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
About $89.00 for a Wiseco piston w/ wristpin, rings and snaprings(circlips), $12.00 for a Wiseco bearing, $31.00 for a Cometic top end gasket kit, $3.50 for 1 can oven cleaner, $3.50 for 1 can mild type carb cleaner, $ 25.00 for the Kawasaki service manual, do you have a bore gauge? You want minimum .002 piston /cylinder clearance. I sent my cylinder to Eric Gorr for a mild honing $25.00 to increase the bearing ratio. He bore gauged it and supplied the Wiseco stuff. The KIPS are easy to do. I just did my first top end on a KDX and followed the manual, lining up the notches on the sub valves with the line on the end of the rods etc. If you use a Wiseco, always make sure you warm it up good before flogging it.

Caution: clean out the snapring (circlip) grooves on the piston of any debris or aluminum chips from the machining process before installing the clips. I luckily found one in mine and used a toothpic to clean it out, then followed with the blowgun. It would be a bummer to have one come loose.You want to hear a snap when they seat, then rotate them so the openings are at the 4:30 and 7:30 positions opposite the plier hole. Anyway you probably didn't need all this info, but I had nothing else to do. Have fun on your KDX !

nmilne

May 30, 2005
Thanks for the feedback fellas :cool:

Sounds like its worth it to do .. even if its just for peace of mind ... and there seem to be enough weird things with this bike that I had better pull it apart anyway. Well, that's my excuse anyway :nod:

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Take note nmilne that the prices above are all in US dollars. My bike had the top end rebuilt on it by a bike shop (previous owner did it) about 6 months ago and it was about 400 aussie dollars in parts. parts replaced were piston, rings, little end bearing, head gasket, base gasket, plug, some fluids etc etc. Note that did not include new KIPS valves, I had to do them all myself and it costs around 250 bucks for a full set, except the main valve.

3.50US for carbie cleaner!!!! Even with conversion you guys get it for less than half the price we pay here. Supercheap auto sells the cheapest brand for 12 dollars a tin.

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
$3.50/ can for carb cleaner!?!?!?!? Wow, you must be getting some good stuff. I buy the Walmart stuff for like $.93 a can, works great for me.

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
yep we arnt as cheap as the americans :think: i got quoted $370 top end rebuild for a 98 KX250 would roughly be the same price for you this included, head and base gasket,piston and rings,pin,little end bearings and two sir clips i remember the days when a top end rebuild cost under $200 :yikes:

the problem u are hearings sounds like the bike hasnt seen a fresh top end in a while u might find u will need to bore the cylinder but the noise could be coming from the KIPS

Gazza2005au

Mar 27, 2005
green hornet i mean for us aissies to convert say a piston and ring kit that cost USD$100 will cost us atlease AUD$220 but if u do the conversion using the price on the stock exchange we should be getting it for AUD$120-$130 there abouts :( we get ripped over here if we were to import from the US pay shipping and import tax's we would still come out better than buying here

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Gazza2005au said:
green hornet i mean for us aissies to convert say a piston and ring kit that cost USD$100 will cost us atlease AUD$220 but if u do the conversion using the price on the stock exchange we should be getting it for AUD$120-$130 there abouts :( we get ripped over here if we were to import from the US pay shipping and import tax's we would still come out better than buying here
I'm just kidding mate

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Yeah I didnt shell out the $400, it was the guy I bought it off. I have the reciept in the glove box of my ute, Ill try remember to bring it in and I will itemise everything for ya. The work was done at a bike shop, and they love to barrel you for parts there....you'd probably get it cheaper going straight to wiseco.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom