C-12 or other fuel mixed and sitting

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I have only used pump gas so far in any of my bikes, but I am thinking about switching to C-12 or another race fuel. I sometimes cant get out and ride for months at a time. What do you guys do who have mixed fuel for 2 strokes if it sits for a month or longer ? Any recomendations on mixing and sitting ? or just mix what I am going to use ?

J

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by jcramin
or just mix what I am going to use ?

Your best bet is to only mix what you know you are going to use and store the remaining fuel in a cool place in the smallest sealed container you can use.

daemon

May 5, 2003
Sorry, I should have added to earlier post ... My plan is 50/50 blend with C12 and what pump gas would be best suited to mix.

01 KX 125 pings on the top end ...

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Have you ever bought bottled water? It's kind of expensive, right? $.99 for 20 ounces or nearly $7/gallon. :eek:

Now, in order to stretch that bottled water, you could mix it 50/50 with tap water from Mexico, but then what would you have?

The question really is, does the C-12 make the pump gas good or does the pump gas make the C-12 bad?

Do the math and it really doesn't make sense:

$6 for a gallon of C-12 or $3.85 for a gallon of some unknown mix ($3 for a half gallon of C-12 plus $.85 for a half gallon of premium). So, you save $2.15 on that gallon but what did you gain?

Mixing race fuel with pump fuel is the ultimate false economy.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
I never understood the budget/economy angle of mixing 50/50. How much fuel do you guys burn in a weekend. If I ride a LOT I will run 5 or 6 gallons in a weekend. If you are talking C-12 and cutting it with pump swill........by substituting 3 gallons of swill at $1.50 per for 3 gallons of C-12 at $5 per you would realize a savings of............$10.50 for the weekend :eek: I'll cut that $10.50 from some other part of my budget so I can run consistent, high quality fuel :thumb:

Last edited:

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
There is no budget for fun :)

This isnt as bad as my buddies who build street trucks to race on the street and spend thousands of dollars on the engine then worry about gas milage.

My wife may not agree with me, but in my budget is, if anything is left after dirt bike riding, it goes into the house budget.

J

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
some of these folks have no intention of jetting their bikes, but just want a bit higher octane for keeping the piston safe. For them, 50/50 works fine. I can go to any of our local tracks and just sit and listen to bikes and tell you that there are a lot of "non jetting" folks out there. They just want to ride and not worry about such issues.

here, race fuel is $4/gal and regular is $1.50 so 2.50/gal times 5 gal times 4 weekends per month = $50/month additional.

if you can show a rider a performance increase with 50/50 and leaner (but conservative) jetting, this could be a transition into running just good race fuel and the right jetting.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Pump gas works 'sometimes', provided you don't require good throttle response or desire any degree of consistency. This topic's been beaten to death apriori, so there's nothing to say. It's not only wrong, but sacriledge to ruin a hand-designed fuel with pump slag. If you're trying to keep your 20:1 3000 rpm single cylinder central pivot motor from pinging or ruining exhaust valves--go for it. If it's your 69 350-powered smallblock Z28--go for it. If it's a bike that sings at 10000-14000 rpm all day long, and requires a seatbounce over a double out of a corner--bad idea.

My only current problem with Nutec Pro MX is the migraine and nausea that lasts about 48 hours after riding. But it's worth it. ;)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Originally posted by nephron

My only current problem with Nutec Pro MX is the migraine and nausea that lasts about 48 hours after riding. But it's worth it. ;)

No kidding,  a guy at the track last weekend was running it in his CR500.

It was giving me a headache and stinging my nose from 30 ft. away!!! :eek:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I was kidding, motometal.
But just in case I wasn't, just chalk it up to hippocrisy.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by jcramin
What do you guys do who have mixed fuel for 2 strokes if it sits for a month or longer ? Any recomendations on mixing and sitting ? 

Most of the year I've found a batch of fuel stays 'good' for 2 weeks. If I use it the third weekend after mixing it, the bottom end throttle response is kinda poochy. By the 4th weekend the low end snap I crave is nonexistent. Since I just trail ride most of the time, chasing the kid around, I'll use it that 3rd weekend. But if I have an enduro or HS I'll mix fresh.

By the middle of June till early September, it really only lasts the weekend I mix it. By next weekend it's okay for trail riding but you can tell it's lost some light ends.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom