slowman659

Apr 14, 2002
Last Sunday, i raced at Englishtown NJ at raceway park. This is a beautiful course which has the most insane obstacle ive ever witnessed on a motocross track, the staircase *WHOA*, anyone got a picture of that thing?
More importantly however, i raced 125c class, since it was the Northeast Classic MX series, i expected there to be a larger, and slightly more skilled field. What i got was a collection of the northeasts 90 best sandbaggers, 80% whom were clearing the 50 foot tall staircase stepup, and 20% of whom were clearing the 70 foot "psycho double". This really ticked me off, how is this a novice class? Novices cannot clear 70 foot, 25 foot of air height doubles, and most shouldnt be able to clear the massive staircase either. There was a massive turnout with 90 125 c class racers, and there were 3 qualifiers, 1 final moto. That means you have to get 13th place or better. This format is nonsensical, it deprives the true novices who want to get better and have racing track time of their needed laps. Also, the C racers are usually the ones on the lowest budget, often working for 5 dollars an hour after school to pay for the entry fees and maintenance. So after $47 and a whole day committed i was sent home after the first moto... no money back obviously. I think englishtown should change its act and either have done a 3 into 2 qualifier, or sent the non qualifiers on a split gate with 250c or a similar lap time class, such as schoolboy. Another idea is the creation of a D class, named novice, C class being renamed intermediate. The other solution would to be to give a 10$ refund and an apology notice explaining how they didnt have enough track time to allow everyone to race and that they are working to alleviate this problem that afflicts the most needy. If you are a newer rider looking to start racing in the northeast, go elsewhere, Pagoda and Diamondback are 2 very nice tracks with lower attendance figures, and rarely will they run a qualifier moto.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
interesting

guess that is why ama is working on a national advancement system, in where all riders will be advanced acording to their race history and ability.
Races and things like you describe in this are EXACTLY what has to be addressed in out sport in order for the true beginner rider to have a chance to race on a level playing field. Organized districts have less trouble with this but it still happens. YOur best advice here is to send that thread to the race track promoters, tell every C rider you know to do the same. The only way you ever will get any attention is to yell the loudest, and the most often.......with diplomacy and respect...........you will be heard it just takes time.

wardy

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Well...take heart in that you're not alone. Next to psycho mini dads (and moms) endangering their kids with incorrect advice ("Twist it, twist it, boy!") and overzealous encouragement when restraint would be the better route, the issue you describe is the biggest problem in amateur motocross.

If fixed, turnouts would increase by 50%, if not more, once the true novices figured out they wouldn't be cheated by sandbaggers and compliant promoters. They'd come out to the races and they'd keep coming back.

But to work, the fix must be widespread and immediate. Individual tracks are not suddenly going to see the light and concurrently crack down on sandbaggers themselves. The national system Ward described is the only solution for AMA-sanctioned races.

(Personally, I'd also like to see trophies eliminated for the C class -- plaques go out to top five only, no matter what the turnout.)

James

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
Unfortunatelly this is a problem everywhere. The easiest solution in my opinion would be the addition of a D class. The C class controversy has gone on for years here in d-14 (MI) but nothing is ever done about it (except for the elimination of year end awords) since our C class racers rarely make it to loretta lynns, so to some that means that our C class racers aren't ready to be moved to B, although I regularly watch so called C racers clearing the 110 foot double at one of my local tracks. I know what you are gong through, and all I can say is lobby for a D class and until then you'll just have to tough it out. Hopefully you will find less sandbaggers and a less crowded gate at your next event. Good luck. :)

slowman659

Apr 14, 2002
Guys, thanks for the support and understanding my situation. I am planning on sending a letter with the signatures of at least 15 guys who hold district 6 cards lobbying for something to be done about this situation. I would also agree that the little kids on 65 clearing triples that im afraid of, because they will be punished if they dont... thats a worse problem. :silly:
Again thank you for the advice. When i get a response, Ill tell ya how it goes, and whether its worth your while to try the same thing.

wardd

Aug 17, 2000
Sandbaggers

I've seen this issue here in WI as well. Last year was my first full year racing(rode one race year prior), and I raced primarily 250C and Vet B(there is no Vet C here). I was consistenly finishing around 9th in 250C, with an occasional 15th or so. However, in the last race of the season I took 1st in both 250C motos, and things seemed to 'click' at once. So this year I took the plunge and moved to 250B and think I'll probably be finishing consistent in mid-pack.

I too wanted to race 250C again this year, not for trophy but mostly for contingency money. That's one thing I think they should eliminate as well. I know I could kick ass in 'C' and get enough $cash$ to maintain my bike. However, I feel that since I'm now doing all the jumps on all local tracks and don't want to be a sandbagger, I'm moving up. Not to mention that the best way to improve and get faster is to ride with faster/better riders.

I also think that it would be just as bad for a rider who is clearly not ready for 'B' class to ride there. I know in B class the riders will hold there line over jumps, and should not expect the 'squirrel like' activity you experience in 'C'.

Lastly, alot of the sandbagging C riders in my district have been in C for years, and consistently finish in the top 3. They don't hold a district card for the C class, but instead for some other class(ie. +25, open, etc..). They are not running district points for C, but the district seems to be oblivious to them competing in C.

Just my thoughts....
Wardd.

Top Bottom