uts

Jan 8, 2004
Hi dirties,

I need info on the power characteristics of individual cr250 years between 86 - about 2000. I used to own an 86 model and loved it and am kicking myself for selling it (needed the cash)
Anyway I loved the bottom and midrange power that it had , and that's what I am after. So if anyone can vouch for a cr250 in those years that had a bottom and midrange power curve let me know. - So I know which ones to look out for.

UTS

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Well, my step dad had a 1992 CR 250. It was known as "the curse".

First owner = Hurt his neck. Can't remember what happened. Fracture or break.

Step-dad = Broken arm, pulled muscles.

Owner after that = Broken arm.

So either, the power was too much or they were a bunch of guys that didn't know how to ride. :cool:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The 87 model has the same bottom and midrange. It has a rear disk brake and improved suspension. It also has the cases of the modern CR250's, so more aftermarket parts fit it. I won't touch my friends 02, I love the way the 87 rides and handles on the trails as well as the flat track. My only complaint is that I burn twice as much fuel as anybody else on a 250. I have another friend with a 98. That bike has a weaker low end, but the midrange is ridiculous. I cannot keep the front wheel down in any gear.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
The 90' and 91' had very good motors...Strong broad spread of power from bottom to top...The 92' and 93' had a massive and torquey hit that was kind of like the 91' but with a massive hit and a tad less top end...I think the 93' was one of the best 250cc motors ever....

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I had a powervalved 89 that had an enormous spread. It flowed real well with the fmf pipe and just smoothing up the ports. all I did was drag race back then. I was able to run a 15 tooth front sprocket it seemed like and I was able to smoke xr 600s and a 92 that my buddy that did the same thing as me to compete did. He had our mechanic(small town) do the same to his bike to try and catch mine. I still have buddies that brag on the beast.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Hey Thanks guys,

So sounds like any model of late eighties early nineties should be good.
I suspected as much.

Thanks again.

UTS

94formy

Mar 13, 2006
I've got a 93 and it has good low end and mid range power but falls off on top a little, not bad though, it still has stock pipe. I jsut bo ught a 2000 with a pro circuit and it has great power all over.

toddb3

Apr 20, 2006
I've got a 2000 model and its by far the best bike I've owned. When I bought it the guy just did a top-end rebuild and put on a Pro-Circuit exhaust, the low end was weak and the mid and top were crazy fast. Since I've owned it I installed a V-force 3 reed system, 12oz Stealy flywheel weight and played with the jetting and I've got great power everywhere, the suspension was really stiff but just playing with the settings I've gotten it exactly the way I like it. I use it for 75% woods bike, 25% MX.

Todd

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a '99.

Mine was a full enduro conversion and the previous owner was an AA racer and overalled several enduro and CC races on it.

The bike had stock porting, a V-force reed block, FMF spark arrestor and the powerjet carb and ignition from a '97. Great trail motor with good fuel range. Plenty of low end for a 250 two stroke. Very similar motor to my friend's '05 KTM 250 exc.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
dirt bike dave said:
I had a '99.

Mine was a full enduro conversion and the previous owner was an AA racer and overalled several enduro and CC races on it.

The bike had stock porting, a V-force reed block, FMF spark arrestor and the powerjet carb and ignition from a '97. Great trail motor with good fuel range. Plenty of low end for a 250 two stroke. Very similar motor to my friend's '05 KTM 250 exc.

That bike did'nt have Paoli's on it and come from Kansas by chance?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My bike had Paioli 'Blue Steel' 46mm front forks and an e-line lighting system (which also is an engine improvement, as it smooths the power).

Did not come from Kansas. The original owner was in D-36 (Northern California).

blarf

Aug 10, 2006
dirt bike dave said:
I had a '99.

YUP and now it is MINE. the bike runs great and strong. thanks again dave

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I also had a '99. It had excellent low and midrange, but was a bit flat on top. That bike had more bottom pull than any other 250 mx bike I have ridden. Bulletproof too.

ssomerville

Oct 8, 2004
'86 had lots of low end and decent mid-range. Drum brakes, conventional forks, and the HPP was more maintenance intensive than my '93.

My brother's '87 had a rear disc brake. The forks were improved over my '86's, and the engine had the strongest mid-range of any 250 I have ridden.

'93 has good low end and a great mid-range, and revs higher than the '86. HPP is much easier to maintain. The only aftermarket stuff I added was a Pro Circuit pipe, because the stock pipe got damaged, V-Force reeds, and 2 tooth larger rear sprocket.
Great handling, I can always take the inside line effortlessly. At high speed it has headshake that is manageable once you get used to it. Suspension is good but you need to spend time trying different fork oil weights and oil heights.

The '93 mostly sat in the garage for 12 years. When my son showed an interest I started riding again about 2 years ago. He had his first race at age 11, and I had my first race in 12 years. I couldn't believe I was second into the first turn starting with mostly 450F's! Getting 1st overall at the end of the day with my 13 year old bike was even better!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
86 or 87

Wasn't those the models when the stupid ama had the pros running stock bikes,and Roger Decoster was quoted as claiming that nobody could run the bike to its full potential!! That 87 is on my watch list.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I have an '89 and it's a rocket ship. Not very good for woods riding though because it's not real controllable - there's a lot of power right now, even when you crack the throttle. Lots of tire spin, wheelying, etc. I much prefer my '04 - much more controllable power and the suspension is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the '89. I would assume any of the later year bikes are going to have much better suspensions.

Dec 11, 2004
88 had mellow power and not a big hit and the 93 was a great bike, i had both. had a 2000 and that was a smooth bike and handled decent, can get them for about 2000 grand . good buy really. honda mx bikes are bulletproof.

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
I really liked my 97 and I like my current 99 just as much or more.. not sure there is much difference between the two yrs. I would look for a 97 or newer

Nov 5, 2006
man id say splurge the cash and grab up a later model cr mines a 2k3 i recently rebuilt evcerything on it from top end bottom and all the bushings etc got for mad cheap to about 1800

uts

Jan 8, 2004
freeridingfool said:
man id say splurge the cash and grab up a later model cr mines a 2k3 i recently rebuilt evcerything on it from top end bottom and all the bushings etc got for mad cheap to about 1800

Well I don't have the cash unfortunately, down here in aus those models are about $6000, but also I like the older bikes. I haven't ridden many newer bikes but I did scam a ride on an 02 model cr250. The suspension and handelling were ace, but my old 86 model would have eaten it up for breakfast in the power department. It was painfully lacking, unless of course that bike was not running properly.
Anyway for the money I have, the early nineties look like the go. Thanks for all the input dirtosaurs.

UTSMAN

rushy08

Jul 17, 2006
im from qld aswell and in my local paper there are regularly '00 '03 model 250s going for anywhere between $3000 and $5000. there was an '03 cr250 in there last week for $4200 so they are out there you just have to look.

teeach

Dec 19, 2006
i bought a c250 1999 2 days ago for 850 uk pounds

i find it a little hesitant low end until powerband kicks in and then not enough top end speed. this isnt racing just like trialling and enduro stuff

saying that i have come down from a crf450 and havent had much time on the bike yet. i am happy with the bike i think it just needs a little refinement.

Top Bottom