griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I have been looking for a new used 250 2 stroke. I was most interested in the YZ250 for converting over to a woods bike due to the reportedly good low end power. I am not finding many good used late model YZ250's, I am however finding several clean 2004 and newer CR250's.

I have heard that the CR250 is weak on the bottom end power and that the electronic power valve is not a good deal and that the jetting is kind of cantankerous on the CR250. Is there any truth to this stuff or would a CR250 work out just fine for an old (45 years old) woods rider? I realize that any MX bike will require a few mods to work well in the woods, but I want another 2 stroke and the closest KTM dealer is not the best to deal with, therefore I am considering another Jap MX bike for the conversion.

Honest feed back on the late model CR250's will be greatly appreciated.

tcuda499

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
i haven't had my 04 for that long but never had or heard of a problem with exhaust valve. Its actually nice because you can take it all apart very easy with out pulling the head or jug.It does lack a little low end but its fixable. I love mine and its great in the woods. I haven't riden any late model YZ's though..... :think:

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I have ridden both in the woods and the yz is a better choice. More bottom end and plusher suspention. Put on an 11oz fly wheel weight, a little suspention work and clean jetting and you have a pretty nice woods bike.

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
I have an 03 CR250, my neighbor has a 05 YZ250.

My CR has a Pro Circuit pipe and spark arrestor, and I installed a Keihen PWK carb.
His YZ has a big tank, and a spark arrestor.

Yes, the YZ has more low-end, it's snappier. The CR has a bigger mid-range hit and out pulls the YZ when revving the snot out of it. I don't do much tight woods riding, but with a little clutch work, my CR gets the job done. A flywheel weight would probably help, and if it becomes a real issue, I could always have the CR ported and have the cases filled for more low-end power. The CR's motor doesn't suck, it's just not as good as the YZ unless you're in the dunes or going WFO.

That said, if I was starting from ground zero as you are, I'd wait for a YZ. If you want wide ratio gears, it's easy for the YZ, not the CR. Working on the YZ is easier, as the CR's perimeter frame always seems to be in the way.

Lastly, your local KTM dealer might not be too good, but the internet makes that a lot less important than it was years ago.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Matt Fisher said:
Working on the YZ is easier, as the CR's perimeter frame always seems to be in the way.

interesting, i always thought the perimeter frame was what made top ends on my '02 so easy to do.

the keihin carb is the only way to go.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Well guy's you have kind of confirmed what I had been told. I have ridden a couple of late model YZ's but never had the opportunity to ride a late model CR. So thanks for all of the help.

May 1, 2007
I honestly think you would have a hard time finding a color you are not happy with. With a slight amount of tweaking any 250cc 2 stroke should have plenty of grunt for riding in the woods. Low end power is not all that important if you drop your gearing which you might want to do anyways if you plan on riding tight woods trails. If you are not competing, and even if you are, I would find it hard to believe that a 250cc 2 stroke was holding you back. Some are like light switches but from what ive seen they rev fast enough that it doesnt matter. Good luck finding a YZ, there are plenty around. I rode a 2004 CR250 for a few minutes and it was completely different than my 1989 YZ. Not better and not worse but just different. I would have gotten used to it in no time.

My suggestion is go ride a few and make your own decision. I would guess that a flywheel weight, exhaust, or maybe some gearing changes would make it perfect for you. Worst case scenario you spend a little more time and money getting it where you want it.

RebelBanshee

Aug 18, 2007
YZ is a better woods bike hands down. I have a 2004 YZ and my brother has a 01 CR (with the keihin carb) and the YZ has WAY more buttery smooth low end power. In tight woods low end is what moves you. The YZ is no slouch in mid top either. Hold out for a YZ, trust me.

mx746

Mar 13, 2004
It may come down to fit and comfort as well, if you can get on both bikes its really worth taking the time to do so. I have an 04 rm250 and an 03 cr 250, and the cr is a much more comfortable set up for me, Im always trying to find ways to get my other bikes to be more, well,, cr like..... :nod:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom