RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
hey, I am going to go get fuel tommorow, and I have the chance to get racing fuel. I am thinking about running cam 2 110 octane. Would I have to do anything to set it up for race gas? (besides jetting). Oh yeah, it's a stupid question, but would 110 octane be to much for my 85? I know how high octanes corrosponds to higher compressions, so would it handle it? Thanks. :cool:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Any reason you want to run higher octane fuel?

just to add a little bit more power. I know it doesn't increase power that much though. I'm just doing it for fun.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Unless your bike requires the extra octane, you won't see any increase in power, just a decrease in the amount of money in your pocket.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
IndyMX said:
Unless your bike requires the extra octane, you won't see any increase in power, just a decrease in the amount of money in your pocket.

really? my compression is getting somewhat low, so would that give it a little bit more power? BTW, I'm not worried about the price. Speaking about the price, about how much does it cost a gallon?

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Low compression can't be fixed with race gas. You need to rebuild it. Higher octane is needed in engines with HIGH compression, not to make up for lack of compression.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Low compression can't be fixed with race gas. You need to rebuild it. Higher octane is needed in engines with HIGH compression, not to make up for lack of compression.

so it would be a bad idea to run race gas right now? And the compression is not that low, but I will be doing a top end job here soon anyways.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
compression ratio is what were talking about here..

Look at it this way, does your engine knock with pump gas? No? then you don't need the 110.

If you run 110 right now, it won't do anything bad to your engine. But, you will not get any more power out of the engine. You also won't see any power increase if your engine was in perfect condition with race gas. Unless it was a high compression engine, requiring race gas.

When your engine is built for it, you don't get the power from running race gas, you get the power from the fact that engine is built to produce more power. Which requires you to run the race gas.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
IndyMX said:
compression ratio is what were talking about here..

Look at it this way, does your engine knock with pump gas? No? then you don't need the 110.

If you run 110 right now, it won't do anything bad to your engine. But, you will not get any more power out of the engine. You also won't see any power increase if your engine was in perfect condition with race gas. Unless it was a high compression engine, requiring race gas.

When your engine is built for it, you don't get the power from running race gas, you get the power from the fact that engine is built to produce more power. Which requires you to run the race gas.

ok. Thanks for the help. :cool:

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
I got one more question......... is it alright to run leaded race gas, such as the 110, in MX bikes? I know it is not good for 4 strokes, but what about 2 strokes? thanks.

Top Bottom