c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Well I wanted to check the tension on the cam chain after @ 6hrs. of riding time . Well the owners manual is alittle vague , or maybe since I don't know four strokes , it's me . Anyways does the spring loaded tensioner on my 06 RM-Z450 automatically tighten it or how exactly do you go about it ? . Thanks..

06450F

Apr 17, 2006
Yeap, its automatic you don't touch it unti it fails. Your bike will have a bat clatter you can not miss when it does fail.

The spring will automatically push the rod out as the chain slacks and such.

Your good to go!

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Plenty good , I could have sworn that I heard that the RM was one that was a manual adjust . Cool and thanks again !.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
c&b745XX said:
Plenty good , I could have sworn that I heard that the RM was one that was a manual adjust.

The RMZ450 does have a manual cam chain tension adjuster. Tension should be checked after the first hour or so, and about every 4-5 hours after that if the bike is being raced or ridden hard. If you don't stay up on the adjustment you can run into problems fairly quickly.

A related RMZ450 thread:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=126625&page=1&pp=10

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
Wow , thats an eye opener ! . Well, I'm cooking with grease now Rich , thanks.
Ok then how exactly do you go about it , the manual doesn't get it . I mean that it explains to find tdc and check it out , but how to adjust ?. It leaves that out . I see the spring loaded adjuster with the set screw and lock nut . Just releasing the set screw allows the spring to load the chain ?. :bang:

Last edited:

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
c&b745XX said:
Wow , thats an eye opener ! . Well, I'm cooking with grease now Rich , thanks.
Ok then how exactly do you go about it , the manual doesn't get it . I mean that it explains to find tdc and check it out , but how to adjust ?. It leaves that out . I see the spring loaded adjuster with the set screw and lock nut . Just releasing the set screw allows the spring to load the chain ?. :bang:

Wish I seen this post,but I was in ICU until the 19th. Rich is correct it is manual and you must adjust and you must check in intervals.

With the tank,seat,and cam cover off ,take off the allen cover for the Flywheel bolt and the allen cover for the inspection window. You want to put something under the left side of the frame and between the stand to prop it so oil does not come out of the flywheel area. (lean the bike to the right a little).

Use a 18mm socket and set the ratchet to off setting(you want to turn the flywheel counter clockwise.Let's see, the easiest way to explain! Turn the flywheel counter clockwise with the ratchet,watch the intake cam lobe spin off of the bucket.The next stroke will be the compression stroke,after the cam lobe comes off of the bucket keep turning the flywheel watching for the 2nd notch to line up in the inspection window.When you have the 2nd notch lined up in the inspection window after coming off the intake stroke THIS IS TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE. YOU MUST HAVE IT ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE. When you are tdc and ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE,loosen the 12mm nut for the cam adjuster.Then loosen the allen bolt,I think it is a 5mm but check,as soon as you loosen the allen you will see the chain take up if it is loose.Tighten the allen,then tighten the 12mm nut. I will post a pic what the cams look like at tdc and on the compression stroke. The exhaust cam lobes will be facing forward and the intake cam lobes will be facing rearward. I do not like to take the sparkplug out when I turn the flywheel because I like a fresh washer bite,dont worry you will not loosen the flywheel.

http://www.locastros.com/campic1.htm
http://www.locastros.com/campic2.htm
http://www.locastros.com/campic3.htm

c&b745XX

~SPONSOR~
Nov 26, 2001
bigred455 ,Rich and all . Thanks again !. I'm aliitle past where I should be for a check on the adjustment , but I think it's still ok .Runs and sounds the same as new . But you can bet I'll get right on it .
P.S. I have been way to busy to know whats going on it "youalls" world , but Damn bigred ICU ? , hope everything is fine now and good luck to ya .

Top Bottom