kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Does anyone do this? I was thinking of getting an enclosed trailer and putting some fold up bunks and a kitchenette and a couple of windows in it. We usually only camp when we go riding so we don't want to spend the money for one of the campers with trailer space.

I found this place while looking at trailers, pretty cool add on to your camper, but still kind of a lot for what you get.

http://www.classicmfg.com/index2java.htm

Kevin

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks guys

Kevin

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
What would be ideal is a pop up type trailer based on the camper/trailer. A 5x8 or 6x10 regular enclosed trailer with a lid that pops off and gives you another foot or three would be great, don't even have to worry about windows then, just need to add some fold out bunks, maybe a shower in the nose cone, lil kitchenette, and hookups.

At the Amarillo Heartland spodefest Nature Boy and his little girl spent the weekend in a tent, and they had a fully enclosed trailer with them - would have been great if it could have converted into a camper !

Anything like this out there ?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i camp in my 6x12 pretty often. we use cots instead of bunks. i have fan, lights, electric heater and tent heater, camp potty, camp stove, and a generator. i sometimes bring a tv, vcr and stereo. i have an inverter and marine battery that runs everything except the heater. i haven't had to use the generator yet. the only real negative is that i have to leave the bikes outside.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
A couple of things:

-there is probably little to no insulation on a standard enclosed trailer
-the walls may not be strong enough to support a fold down bunk with a person in it.
-you may need to leave the bikes outside which for me is the reason for an enclosed trailer in the first place.

Consider fastening the bikes at an angle to take advantage of the width of the trailer. I think it could be done and it could be comfortable if you have a safe heater or are in a warm climate. I have a canopy so I can sleep in the pickup bed. Tents are lame.

Good topic.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Just had this come to mind, if the roof could be raised like a pop up camper, you could then have your sleeping accomodation above the bikes. Another thought, how about a pop-up-camper trailer with solid sides, no tent, sort of like two boxes one inside the other, instead of a slide out, a slide-up !

Now, if I had dough to throw, a big truck with a tailgator 5th wheel would be the ticket :)

Last edited:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I had thought of the wall strength but I didn't think of cots! :cool:

I guess it seams that there should be a less expensive wasy to do it the a full blown patio hauler. I don't minde chaining the bikes to the trailer as that is what we do now anyway.The truck bed tent thingies would work unless it rained. And as for heat we mostly stay at camp sites with electricity.

Kevin

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i have a "solid-side popup" like bundu is talking about. it is a towlite, a competitor of trailmanor's. it raises with a hydraulic system controlled by an electric motor, powered by a 12v battery. the trailmanor you raise wih a foldout system. the towlite has advantages: it is very easy to tow (way less wind resistance) than a regular camper trailer but it has hard sides, unlike a regular popup. it has all the camper conveniences. on the other hand, it is something else to go wrong. mine is leaking hydraulic fluid right now & the raising/lowering switch isn't quite right. makes me think again about converting an enclosed trailer!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I finally found what I was thinking about- It is the HiLo Funchaser. It is 30 feet long and when towing is 6'5" high. It weighs 4666 lbs dry. the cargo area is 10 feet by 88". The rear opens just like any toybox with a full ramp for loading. Their website is www.hilotrailer.com only problem is $20,995 :(

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
oldguy, I do not see this model there - is the funchaser now the silver line ?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I found some info here http://www.customtruckak.com/max.htm#HILO

Looks like this trailer will not fit a dirtbike.

Also explais why XRPredator chose his handle, nothing to do with Arnie, and all to do with snow plows

Attachments

• hilo_sut.jpg
    hilo_sut.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 262

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Going back to fold down beds from the walls. As long as you drive your bolts into the steel frame of the enclosed trailer, that will support the weight of you and the bed. We might do this with our new 16ftx8 1/2ft Halmark trailer. You will have to use self-tapping metal screws inorder to do this. Same goes for, if you are going to hang anything that is going to support anything of great weight. Like bike tiedowns, go into the steel support beams on the floor. Hope this helps some of you.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
some of the mfrs., such as classic, offer the bunks as an option, so there must be a way to do it.

on the hi-lo, i have a camper made on the same design (regular camper, not a toyhauler), sold under their towlite brand. it's their lower-end brand. it is definitely much easier to tow, there's so much less wind resisitance, but it has some drawbacks just like anything else. if you want a full report, let me know.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Yes, the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth - I would expect nothing less from a lawman :)

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
"the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth"? dude, that costs extra! ok, here's the scoop: mine is a 21-ft. towlite, a '94 model bought 3d-hand. the top half collapses down with a hydraulic system, run by a 12-v battery. you hit a switch to raise it. the hydraulic pump powers a cable system, which raises the top at the corners. there is a safety catch which keeps it from collapsing accidentally. it has a hard top & sides & all the camper conveniences, it raises to normal height, & it is super-easy to tow, & the tow vehicle gets WAY better mileage. drawbacks: it's a complicated system, something else to go wrong. get the backup manual lift or carry jumper cables. the lift cables need adjusting every now & then, & i had 1 break once (trailer still was useable). my switch won't lower the top right now, i'm having to use the backup release switch--no big deal exc. that it takes 2 people to lower it--1 to pull the e-switch & 1 to release the safety catch. you need to keep kids & pets out of the way when lowering it, for obvious reasons. my door (2 piece, remember) doesn't seal very well, but maybe it's just the age of it (+ the time it got broken into). the cabinet space is somewhat limited. i always seem to forget to clear something out of the way when lowering when i'm tired after a race--the awning, the bunk bed, etc. etc. bottom line--the distinctive feature, the lower towing profile, is nice, esp. on a windy day or if your tow vehicle would be marginal for a regular trailer, but it has its trade-offs, such as increased maintenance & reduced storage. for more info, you might try www.towlite.com.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Hi guys I just got back home from a job in Charlotte NC so I am catching up. Sounds like good info . I have to see my kids for now ( I hate traveling) but I’ll take a better look tomorrow or latter tonight.

Thanks
Kevin

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I was inspecting a travel trailer with the rear bike storage at a poker run last weekend. It weighed 11000 lbs. but the manufacturer (Desert Fox I think) had a cool idea. Above the bikes a hoist lowered the full width bed down as low as you wanted for sleep and then it could be sucked up against the ceiling for when you need to move the bikes. The owner spent the night sleeping above his bikes. It would be warmer up higher in the trailer too. So dedicate the rear 8 feet to that bed and bikes and then the front 4-6 would be for a vanity/shower/ kitchenette/cabinets. The weight of these appliances would be up on the tongue and the bed wouldn't really have to be torn down but rather sucked up out of the way. 2x4 framing could be used to support the bed hoist system without loading the walls. Add a vent to the ceiling, maybe a window and your 6x12 is swanky.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I had thought about suspending the bunk int would solve some problems and if yoiu put fold dowm legs on it support would not ne a problem! :cool:

Kevin

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
How did I give myself negative Mojo ?

Kevin

Top Bottom