Can anyone help with porting and head mods

RMKDX

Jun 17, 2004
:think: Truly believe that I have the tools,ability and resources to do the porting and head mods to my 2003 220 I need some help with the specs? do the ports just need a good cleaning? or does the exhaust port height need changing? How much compresion can it take at 5000' and above? Can the timming be adjusted at the stator plate to compensate for high compression? Sorry! I could be running on?? my first time on forums. I love my bike she just needs some mo go. I'm comming off an 04 KTM 450 exc (Long story!). She is feeling quite slow at the moment. can anyone shed some light? Right now it is piped w/no air box lid with plans for a carb mod to 36mm and divider. I'm assuming that the old girl would benfit greatly from a little massage of the air ways and a shorter lid???. I could send the stuff to FRP! but i kind of want to get intimate with the inner workings of this motor (cuz I have no life at the moment). Any insite?

randy nelson

May 10, 2003
.I believe that you get what you pay for. The reason that people pay for porting, head work, carb mods ect. is that these people have earned a reputation for quality work. I think if you want to match the gaskets or take off the casting flash ,ect fine but leave the porting to Fredette or Eric Gore and Rcb for carb mods and head work . To get intimate with your motor, get a manual and read!!!!!

RMKDX

Jun 17, 2004
OK! I will conceed to to the god's !! Then the next question will be. RB or FRP for the carb mod's? RB's mods cost 150.00 and FRP's is only 75.00? Then who's porting/head mod Eric's or FRP? I would like to send the stuff all to one place if possible? but if one guy seems to put out a better product than the other? I'm sure they both do a great job. :uh:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Well, Fredette only does KDX's, and Eric only does porting and motors... the RB mod includes a divider plate on the carb, as frp is just a bore out, and re-jetting.
I have heard great things about eric's work, but on this one, I might have to swing over to frp on the port work, especially on the 220's as I have heard that eric still can't cure the lack of topend on the 220. If it were any other bike besides the kdx, I'd go eric all the way... but Jeff Fredette only does KDX's and that counts for quite a bit.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
On the 220 Fredette is the guy. At least thats what Eric Gorr told me when I inquired about a port job. I would not do the RB mod again although I know a lot of guys swear by it.Boring the carb is a big help in widening the power band though. A cej-3 needle with a #7 slide or a cel with the stock 5.5 slide will really give you better yank on the bottom. The dollars begin to add up on this so I would suggest you consider the sacriligous option of going to brand orange.

Top Bottom