Can I ask for a test drive?

Hartsock

Jul 4, 2007
Can you ask for a test ride when deciding on a bike at a dealership? You can get them at car dealerships, but there usually aren't any trails near a dealership. I would struggle paying close to $7000 for a bike i had never ridden, plus i am still deciding from 2 or three different bikes. I can read about the differences til i'm blue in the face, but i would rather test the bikes myself and see for myself. One last question, when negotiating a price, what percent below the asking price do you start with? 10%, 20%? Thanks!

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
I just went to a Honda dealer looking at a CRF230 and it was used. They let me ride it around in their grassy area. I was also looking at a WR250 that was brand new, zero miles. They would not let me test ride that one.

May 10, 2007
yea i think its kinda like that for most. they arent gonna let you ride a brand new bike cuz you are gonna be putting miles on the engine (well more like feet but still)

if they have a used one they might or if they are a big enough dealer that they have designated test bikes (but i dont know of any that do)

Jan 3, 2007
Hartsock, it all depends. Show them $7000 cash and they will most likly let you try it. My dealers are good for that. I dont even have money and the let me try the new WR250F and WR450F but they know i spend money on parts there and they know me by name. As for the lowering in price i ushally dont lower the price but get them to set you up with helmate, pants, jersey, boots and so on.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…