Can I buy in Oregon, and use in California?

ADivotMaker

Mar 3, 2004
I'm looking at an 04 YZ250F, but I'm looking at around 6300 out the door in Sacramento, or $5800 if I'm willing to drive to Los Angeles (7 hours each way). I have relatives in Oregon that would be willing to buy the bike in their name and just give it to me so I can ride it in California. I can get the bike quite a bit cheaper in Oregon and not pay sales tax. So, does anyone know if this is legal and whether it will work? I'm not even sure if I can ride an Oregon bike in California?? Thanks for any help.

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001
You'll have to pay a tax at the DMV when getting a Green Sticker.

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
Buying a bike in CA and registering it in CA is legal, but yea, you're gonna pay some tax at the DMV.
If you want to register it in Oregon and just ride it in CA, that is murkier. CA respects other state's OHV registration, but that may be just for out of state residents.

SHANKAT

Nov 20, 2003
No Sales Tax Here

Hey whats going on. First time posting here so be patient with me. Yes you can definitely buy a out of state bike and register it in Cali. In my case my parents still live in oregon. I just purchased a brand new 500af from service honda. They were more than willing to put the bike in my fathers name who lives Oregon. The key to the puzzle is that I used his address to not pay sales tax and the kicker is as long as a bill of sale from my father to me is stating this is a gift with no money exchanged you are fine. Also you must be related can not be from a friend. Must be from a true blood relative and is stated in the bill of sale it is a gift you. You do not pay any sales tax and can get a green sticker. And no I don't feel bad as many of us are strapped over a barrel and have paid sales tax and the ridiculous registration fees in Cali.

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
When something is gifted to another person, as I understand it, -income tax- nails you. Federal income tax. It'd be around 50% I believe.

Why not just have your father sell it to you for $100 and pay $10 (or whatever) sales tax? Or is that not legal?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Unfortunately we all have to pay it here, I ain't happy about it but I do it. I've never seen a gift result in a federal income tax addition but supposedly if you buy from out of state on Ebay for example, you're supposed to bring that forward on your state tax and pay the taxes due here since nothing was paid at first. NOT! Some lady out here was proud to say she had to pay over a $1000 because she claimed it oon her state return, there's a smart one.

There are ways around the tax thing here but I ain't saying, lips are sealed, I gotta pay and so do you! LOL :)

Oregon Trail

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 1999
I thought you only had to claim a gift if it was over $10k? :cool:

Top Bottom