MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
With all the additives in two stroke oil these days, I am wondering if over time, any of them can settle out. Does anyone know? We shake the gas/oil mix before we use it, but should we shake the oil bottle before we use it? :think:

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I shake my filter oil before I apply it so it sounds like good practice for my mix oil. I use No-Toil filter oil, and Motul for my mix. I know the filter oil seperates but not sure about the mix oil.

Phillip

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Its funny this question should come up. I recently bought some pro-honda racing oil and noticed when i pour it after its been sitting for a few days it comes out multi-colored and when i shake it up it blends back into a nice blue color.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I had half a bottle of Amsoil 100% synthetic left over from last year.
When I opened it up to use it this spring I noticed two or three lumps of jellied crap had developed. So, I would check the condition of the oil before using it.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Just what I need, the Zinger choking to death, anyone know the Hymlick Manover for a bike?

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
I was at a bike shop recently & saw some bottles of Redline oil (clear bottles) that had thick deposits settled in the bottoms. I picked one up & had to shake it real good to mix it up. So I would say yes, at least with some oils.

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
Interesting. In a recent MXA they siad oil will not settle outta gas but i have always been tought to shake the can before i fill my bike.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Oil will always settle out of gas eventualy, there is no chemical bond, its just a suspension (same reason why you have to shake the salad dressing).

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by 125 rider
Oil will always settle out of gas eventualy,
I was asking about all the additives in the oil itself as it sits in the bottle on the shelf. I always shake my gas oil mix, I was just wondering if I needed to shake the oil jug before I mix it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
All oils are made up of a package of additives. These additives, are for the most part, held in suspension. They can and will fall out of suspension. Certain conditions like heat or cold can accelerate this fallout.
Oils like motor oils are blended up and mixed forever before they go to the pail.
Sometimes when an oil has started to seperate, it will cloud up...or will have visible components in the bottom. I don't recommend it, but a short nuke in a microwave can bring some additives back into suspension.
My suggestion is to use fresh product in your highly tuned machine and never worry about seperated oils.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Jaybird, how long do you think a 2-stroke oil is good for and will a simple shake bring things back in order. I'm talking about Maxima SuperM that I bought back in April that I haven't completely used yet.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Shake it to feel good, but I don't think you'll find many two stroke oils that will do much seperating very fast. Maybe if it sat in the cold all winter.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom