Can someone possibly help me identify this bike? Bombardier engine

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
I found an old dirtbike today. I was wondering if anyone could possibly clue me in to what it might be. The engine is Bombardier. Its a 2 stroke and its BIG. My friend was told its like a 450 but im not sure. Its got drum brakes, dual rear shocks, plastic gas tank, I think the origional color might have been red or orange or something, and the exhaust goes over the top of the engine and out the back instead of the bottom. Ive tried searching around and I think it might be a Can Am but I dont know. I cant find much info.

Anyone else have any clues as to what it could possibly be? Also, if you know of any good online sources of info on them, that would also be great.

Thanks

UPDATE: I uploaded pictures of it.

Last edited:

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
damn, i looked at it at night so there wasnt much light. I took a picture of the engine with my cell but it didnt come out too good. I'll get pics asap. Its only $100 and it runs and shifts good so im thinking about picking it up.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Can Am was produced by Bombardier until the early-mid 80's. The engines were actually made by Rotax, although they could have Bombardier badging on them, making one think they were actually produced by Bombardier. For $100 running, you can't go too far wrong, even though Can Am's weren't as highly regarded as the Japanese and European bikes for their performance and ridability.

VenomRS4

Jan 12, 2007
TimberPig said:
Can Am was produced by Bombardier until the early-mid 80's. The engines were actually made by Rotax, although they could have Bombardier badging on them, making one think they were actually produced by Bombardier. For $100 running, you can't go too far wrong, even though Can Am's weren't as highly regarded as the Japanese and European bikes for their performance and ridability.

How reliable were the engines? Would it be worth restoring or just geting all the main things squared away and riding it?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Reliability was decent from what I know of them.

They aren't particularly desirable bikes to collectors or racers in post vintage/evo classes.

It certainly isn't going to bring you a return on your money spent to restore it to like new condition. I would have to say clean it up, give it a once over and get it in good shape and ride it would be your best bet.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
As well as the smaller sizes, Can Am made 370 and 400 two strokes. Here is a 1980 400 MX6.

Attachments

• 1980 Can Am MX 6 400_august05.jpg
    1980 Can Am MX 6 400_august05.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,950

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
I had a mid 70s can am 175, dont remember year or model, it was temperamental as hell but when running was blast to ride. Never had any real problems other then the carb was junk and would flood the motor sometimes but that was probably my fault. Ten years ago parts were hard to get and cost a lot, it might be a expensive restoration. I enjoy my bikes that are just fixed up alot more than my restored one.

docgonzo

Feb 27, 2006
It looks like a 1977 mx-3. If it has a rotary valve than it would be a 250. I've never ridden one but have heard they were strong.

I think ATK used rotax motors in the 80's and 90's they might be able to help with parts.

Nov 21, 2006
Yes,Rotax and Bombardier are two separate companies.Rotax is an Austrian firm,that has also built powerplants for ATK,KTM,Harley-Davidson,and a host of limited production machines,such as failed comeback attempts by BSA,Norton,and Velocette,just to name a few.

Am I hallucinating,or is Bombardier now calling its ATVs Can-Ams? :yikes:
:cool:
Cheers
Bruce

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom