can u recommend a long-wearing intermediate terrain tire? D952?

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
Hi gang,
I have a KTM EXC 300 that I bought last year and I've shredded the original rear tire quickly after about 7 rides... this is about 3X faster than any other tire I've owned on bikes.

I'm wondering what would be long wearing, relatively inexpensive all around type of terrain tire. I've seen the ads in the mags for Dunlop's D952... does it live up to the hype? Is it expensive (tires cost at least 25% more here in Canada).

I ride in a mix of very hardpack, and deep mud.

Let me know...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The 952 is a great tire but longevity is not one of it's strong points. I'd look at the Maxxis IT if you can find anyone stocking them ( no one ever seems to here in Manitoba) or the Michelin M12.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
Seven rides and you want more? Boy, you are not asking for much!

Ditto on IRC rubber. They tend to hold up on our rocks around Missouri, especially the Vulcanduro. But as with any tire, I tend to get better wear when I flip them. You know, when the knobs start to twist and get that chewy torn up look.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Guys for MX, I have foind the 952 to be a real good tire. I also like the Maxxis IT, but damn putting one on is real hard and not worth the aggravation.

Erik

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I had a IRC M5B and have a Maxxis IT. Both are good tires, but the Maxxis side walls are super stiff. Makes it a pain to put them on, but they seem to last for quite a while with good hook up.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
I like the M5B tire as well. But as with any tire it depends on how hard you gas it that will determine the tire life. (HINT) A soft terrain tire is a harder compound with tall knobbies and will last longer on hardpacked terrain but you will not get the sure footed grip of a faster wearing, soft compound hardpack tire.

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
One more vote for the IRC M5B. I won't run anything else. It's a soft terrain tire, but wears forever. I run them on my YZ426 and YZ250.

Bruce

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 1999
I knew I could count on you guys!!! Thanks so much, I'll go price comparison shopping now.

Bruce

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I don't know about Maxxis. I currently have the 6001 Intermediate terrain tires and I'm not impressed. My buddies all run the Kenda Milville with great results. These guys aren't on tiny bikes either, CRF450R, KTM525EXC, KTM450EXC and KX250.

Top Bottom