Can you guys walk me through the process for removing the top end on a 220?

leeinmemphis

Oct 19, 2000
Hey guys,

I'm picking up a 1999 220 this weekend. It appears to be in excellent shape but I want to get the cylinder/head pulled and sent off to frp to get the head work done and check the cylinder. While I'm in there I'm gonna go ahead and put a wiseco piston in. I was wondering if you guys could walk me through the steps for getting to the point of where I can get the cylinder off the bike? I've changed pistons on a old 86 aircooled kdx but since this is water cooled and there is a powervalve involved I'm not sure where to start. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
I found a link to the kdx200 pdf somwhere here on this forum. I printed it and made my own book.

Theres a 220 reference book you'd have to buy separately though.

JimCoCo

Jul 5, 2008
I just did a total engine rebuild including replating the cylinder. I sent the Wiseco piston along for a perfect match. Talk about an amazing difference! I highly recommend using a manual and taking close-up digital photos along the way. I used an online manual service that allows for 1-year purchase and printing of key pages. It also comes with a quick reference guide of proper torque. That is a must on any engine rebuild. One other warning, I had to carefully clean out every bolt hole with a tap after the plating. It was about 1.5 hours of work with a few different bolt sizes, but replating was worth every penny. The result is an incredible crisp and repsonsive throttle.

Top Bottom