can you jump a kdx?

babycleatus

Oct 19, 2004
if you were to spend $500 on parts what would you buy? If you mod the suspension enough can you jump it? :bang: :uh:

love the site I want to buy an 02 kdx 200

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
The kdx can be jumped. If I were going to spend $500 on a stock bike here is some stuff I might get a pipe, xr springs for the forks, various jets, and a DFII reed valve.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
You can jump anything with enough speed. What exactly are you asking? The KDX springs are a little soft for 50' flat landings, but land right and you can hit 100' jumps. I hit 50 footers all day long on mine.

If you really must jump, sell the KDX and get a modern MX bike. Virtually any MX bike built from 1995 on will be more capable than the KDX as far as jumping is concerned.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
White_Knuckles said:
I tried to jump my KDX but I caught my toe going over the seat and hit the garage wall. :laugh:

LMAO... :rotfl: If you use a milk crate as a step up you should get more air and be able to clear it ... :nener:

P455

Nov 16, 2003
Of course you can jump a KDX. Back in the 70's and 80's we were jumping with absolute crap suspensions and we lived. Kids these days don't know how good they have it.

Put some stiffer springs in the forks and it jumps just fine.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Geeesh Okie... you should have stretched that a little..... these youngin's are gonna think we were soft! :)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I used to race a bone stock 1996KDX 200 in the AMA D-7 hare scrambles series. When we ran Budds Creek, I jumped every jump on the MX track (including a 55ft table top, a 50 ft down hill double, a 45ft uphill double..) except for the 75ft uphill double called "big gulp" (where Doug Henery broke both arms a while back at the pro-national). So it can be done. It helped that the year before I was racing moto on the same track on a KX250. I would not want to learn how to jump big stuff on a kdx. It is not very forgiving. The frame and fork flex too much, the wheelbase is too short to be very stable, the suspesion is too soft, the bike is too heavy, the motor is down on power even compared to a 125cc MX bike etc. So if you want to play freestyle or MX a lot look for a mx bike, if you are just jumping little stuff <40ft, the kdx is fine.

good luck

trailryder

Oct 1, 2004
bikepilot- I've ridden Budds Creek H/S when they've used the mx track.....I'd roll over those jumps, they were hillclimbs in my book.....besides I had much more fun trying to survive the "mud bogs" in the woods..

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
I saw a couple of thugs jump a KDX in a parking lot. They ran off with it's head light and airbox lid.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…