gozfast

Apr 19, 2002
My front alloy rim cracked just on the sidewall portion where the original manufacturing weld was. There is no deformation in the area and it appears that the first weld failed because it didn't have full penetration. Can I just notch out the crack and reweld it? I'm not sure if the origional rim has had any post weld treatments that the new welding would compromise. I have an event this weekend and I can't get a replacemet in time. Will my safety be in question if I fix it?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yes, you CAN weld a rim...but you SHOULD NEVER ride on welded rim. Keep the hub and spokes and order a new ring.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
If you know an airline/pipeline/etc.. engineer who could tell you the proper methods I am certain that you can, if you are correctly certified, make these welds with no adverse affects (or at least the engineer could tell you how to counter them).... otherwise, I would stick with the manufactured ones...

Might I suggest photoing and sending the photos or returning the rim directly to the manufacturer with a note stating that you believe this is a manufacturing defect (a potentially hazardous one).... My bet is that they send you a brand new one post haste.... they hate that kind of thing and most companies are very generous about helping in issues where there merchandise might be suspect...

It won't get you out of your jam, but it will probably land you a new rim....

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Go for it. There are many cracked rims out there running around from the 70's-80's. I cracked one of my Husky rims and rode it a complete enduro season. However, if you have the $$ replace it.

380roost

Apr 20, 2003
Welded

I rode my Yamaha for one year on a repaired rim (DID) with no problems, Exel rims are probably hardened after welding in the factory.
I you do get it welded, loosen the spokes, or remove the rim first.

Ken

Top Bottom