can you ride a wr400 on the mx track

parish8

Nov 29, 2001
i am a woods rider but would like to try the mx track, i have an xr250 and it is not fun at the track. i am thinking that a yz125 would be a good choice for a new guy like me but while looking i came across a great deal on a wr400, it is a 2000 in great shape with a few extras and i think i could get it for 3k. what would have to be done to this bike to ride it at the track? i am looking at the yz125 because most people say i could ride it in the trees in a pinch(when i want to take someone with me that doesn't have a bike) so the wr would get some trail use but i dont want to completly redo the bike so i can ride the track. help me out, thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
paarish8

I have a 99 WR400 that I ride on both trail and track. Although, I prefer my XR350 on trail, the WR works very well.

On the track the WR is great. I would recommend changing the tank and seat to the YZ style. It lets you get closer to the front, makes the bike steer better in the corners. Also, keeps you from busting your nads on the tank when you come up a little short.

There are a lot of free mods that you can do to the WR engine to make it run like a YZ on the track and still work on trail.

Just my $ .02

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i'd go w/ the wr, i did! took it out to the track right off the showroom floor, ran hard and the suspension was sweet. i'm doing the yz mod now, but i'd definately go with the wr. thumpertalk.com has an exstensive info base on that bike.:D

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom