MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Hey Old Mike, I have a reliable source I can’t disclose, but he said that Zimmerman is in with John Cilluffo who is a very good spinal neurosurgeon. Vincent Prusick, also in TC, is a very good orthopedic spinal surgeon. Malcom Field is a spinal surgeon in your area and he’s been in practice forever and is good. If you’re not comfortable with any of them, Gregory Graziano (U of M) is supposed to be the best spinal surgeon in the state.

If you need more info, send me an email at work.

Last edited:

team2by4

Dec 26, 2005
Dr Davis was my surgeon.

Good points:
- very professional
- will spend lots of time with you. He does not try to rush you around (he limits the number of patients)
- did a great job with my surgery
- wasn't going to start cutting until he knew exactly what the best option was

Bad points:
- I guarantee his receptionist will piss you off at some point
- I needed multiple appointments and it seemed like a very long time between appointments

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
A quick little update. I survived my weekend - that is good. Still hurt like hell, but overall I think the prednisone has been helping and continues to help. I was able to hobble around OK with the help of a walking stick over the weekend. Yesterday i really took it easy, spent basically all day just laying around, feel suprisingly better today. I suspect if I did much walking around today, I would quickly find things back to like they were 4 or 5 days ago though. I have found I can sleep...well, sorta. Either the floor or couch works best. I have managed a couple nights of around 5 hours or so now - that sure makes me feel better. I have a PT eval scheduled for tomorrow, neurosurgeon appointment is still being set up, but should be pretty soon. My doc's thought is to start even some limited PT that might help reduce pain a bit while we wait for the surgeon's assessment. So now I hurry up and wait.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Another update. I've been doing PT for the last 4 weeks. Some progress - much less pain - times with no pain. Walking or standing is what gets it going again though. Sometimes I can walk 25 steps and be hurting like hell, other times it takes 200 step. Beyond that - well, that always ends up hurting.

I saw the neuro surgeon today as well. Kind of a frustrating experience. His first comment was "you have quite a large rupture there". Initially, he was plowing straight down the path of " you need surgery", He seemed to be describing a partial disc ectomy - cut away the parts sticking out where they should not be. Then it seemed out of now where, he was next saying "let's try 4 more weeks of PT and see how you are doing then". At one point I mentioned the dirt biking - he glances at my chart (to note my age), and responds " at 35 maybe, but at 45 you had better stop riding motorcycles". Getting any clear answers out of this guy was not so easy - I walked away not really knowing what the hell to think! Kind of reading between the lines of some of his comments, my guess is he has concluded surgery is the way to go, and that ulitmately PT wont do it, but no harm in trying it for a few more weeks just in case it might be enough.

Bottom line is, I plan on getting a second opinion now that I have my first. I dont want surgery, but I do want to know for sure that PT only is the right course for me. I did not get clear enough info from this guy to make a decision either way. So...I will keep up with the PT while I get an appointment made for a second look see by a surgeon and go from there.

Fred T - are you familiar with Saginaw Vally Neurosurgery (Dr. Malcolm Fields)? If so...what do you know?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
No Mike, I don't know of him at all.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Mike hope you find some relief and good answers soon.

Trevor

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
KTM Mike said:
At one point I mentioned the dirt biking - he glances at my chart (to note my age), and responds " at 35 maybe, but at 45 you had better stop riding motorcycles".

Mike,

I get suspicious anytime a medical professional tells me I should not drink coffee, wine, or beer, run, or ride motorcycles.

Definitely get a second or third opinion! I have asked all three of my docs (family doc, sports doc, and chiro) over the years whether I should plan to give up riding and running as I get older. The response has been that I should plan to slow down but never plan to become sedentary. There are many older riders, with “YT” being the supreme example, providing evidence that two wheeled joy can still be found later on in life. I also know of many 50, 60, and 70 y.o. distance runners…..many of whom regularly kick my butt.

If surgery is the ultimate option then so be it. Afterward, PT followed by a lifestyle including strengthening, flexibility improvement, and maintenance thereof will help prevent recurrence.

Of course, proper suspension set-up and a judicious right hand are pretty important too, LOL!

Hang in there buddy.

TF

MuddyBuddy

Nov 1, 2006
Hang in there Mike! Don’t let your doc brainwash you about the motorcycles. Mine gives me crap and is full of doom and gloom every time I mention the word. All except my dentist – he rides too!

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Mike, I've been reading up on back issues. Repairs seem to be pretty straight forward, not much different than wrenching. If you are planning surgery, I'd like to toss my hat into the ring. New to this but I think I can do it. Blue Cross will be fine. If you find a better candidate thats OK, no hard feelings.
Backs are difficult, hope you find the best outcome. :cool:

team2by4

Dec 26, 2005
From somebody who's been there take heart. A discectomy at the age of 46 did not end my riding. I feel great and have had zero problems with riding. It does take a number of months to fully recover so I wouldn't rush back into it.
Not all doctors are alike but mine did not try to discourage me from riding.

My doctor was Dr Davis in Traverse city.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks again everyone. I think I will go with Dr. TCT - though I do need to know if you at least slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.? and while you are at it, could you change the oil in my bike?

Dont worry - no Doc will ever convince me to not ride - that is NOT an option! ( contrary to Doc DW's advice! ) though, I must be realistic if the time comes - but that time is not here yet. Until then, the goal is back to 100% of where I was before hand - why shoot for less at this early stage? If I do have to back down - worst case, I trail ride and do dual sports, and get back into the street bikes ...I can become a has been...oh wait, I never was...so I have nothin to loose do I!

I will be seeing my primary care doc Tuesday and will get the ball rolling on a referral for a second opinion - most likely to one of the docs in Dr. Field's group in Saginaw - though I continue to research other options. 2x4 - The doc I saw Wednesday (Zimmerman) actually is in the same group practice as Dr. Davis.

During my PT appointment today, I had a lengthy discussion with the PT. She is 100% in agreement on seeking a second opinion - and she is 100% on board with working on MY goals, without superimposing her own bias like Zimmerman did.

One positive outcome from all this - my son Mitch will start college next year and has been struggling to decide what he wants to do. Being a PT has been at the top of his list, yet he still was not sure. I arranged for him to job shadow my PT - he is now 100% decided on his path (subject to change of course!) as a PT. Bad side though - that means a Phd - 7 1/2 years of college tuition! Looks like I wont be getting a new bike for a while.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom