Cant start bike

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
I'll start by saying I've had this 02 KX65 for several years and have done most of the maintenance myself. I ended up having to get the bottom and top end done over the winter and decided to get a shop to put it all back together for me. I installed the motor into the bike and was responsible for putting back the flywheel and stator. Well it all bolted back up fine. I put new gas in the bike, have good spark, the timing is set properly but I cant get it to start at all. I occasionally get a backfire and that's it. I had a reputable shop do the work but I just cant figure out why it wont start. It would start without any issues prior to having the work done.
Any ideas or suggestions?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Patience Grasshopper ;)

Are you sure the timing is set right? Getting a spark and having the timing set right are 2 different things.

Is it getting gas? Are the reeds OK?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If the plug is sopping wet, it may be flooded. When was the float valve replaced last? This is supposed to be a yearly replaced item. Keep the fuel off, choke on, throttle wide open and kick. See if it will start that way/flooded procedure? If the plug is dry/a little wet, the rotor may not be properly aligned with the key slot on the crank. Most you can take the rotor nut/washer back off, and see if the slots and key are installed correctly. Vintage Bob

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
The plug isnt wet, float valve seems fine but hasnt been replaced in a few yrs, timing is lined up where its supposed to be according to the service manual. Im sure the flywheel is lined up with the key.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Im definitely getting fuel. I can lay it on its side and fuel will come out of the overflow.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…