mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Just a quick question that is bothering me. Would a totally "shot" battery keep a car from running even if the alternator is working to its full potential? :whoa:

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Here's the scenario: Its a 92 Buick Roadmaster, jump started it and left it run for a couple of minutes with the jumper cables and about 1 minute after removing them the car sputtered and shut off. I know the engine runs fine and that is not the reason it shut off (or sputtered) on its own. :cool:

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
The battery also has been w/o a charge for bout 8 months and is a 8 year old battery. :laugh:

B

biglou

I think you have to measure the voltage at the battery when the engine is running to see if the alternator is working. In ye olde times, you could disconnect the battery with the engine running to see if the alternator was working or not (car dies if it's not).

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Yes, I've had it happen to me, after driving 300 miles to a racetrack. Short in battery wouldn't even let me jump start it. Fine, with a new battery.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Has an old school no maintenance lead plate acid bath (Interstate) battery just go flat dead one day. No nothin' wouldn't jump nada. I picked up a new Optima and popped it in and the truck has run fine every since (8 years or more). I found out that at least one of the plates broke and shorted the battery out most often caused by bouncing around off road which was very possible in my case. Now when I have a stock battery that needs replaced I only go with Optimas except in the case of my Miata which I installed a similar Odyssey because of the size.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
That's usually what causes the car to not run(plate broken/shorted).

Lou is right, (with the car running)if the alternator is working the car will have about 14volts. If not it will show static voltage, about 11.5-12.5.

Optima batteries rock! Pretty much bulletproof.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Patman said:
except in the case of my Miata which I installed a similar Odyssey because of the size.

An Odyssey in a Miata! :whoa: :yikes: Why!!!! I should kick your ass. :yell: Pull over. :nener: :rotfl:

mmz77.

You may also want to check the alternator like Lou said to make sure it is still charging. When a battery goes completely dead, it can also short out the diodes in the alternator.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ol'89r said:
An Odyssey in a Miata! :whoa: :yikes: Why!!!! I should kick your ass. :yell: Pull over. :nener: :rotfl:
Yet another reason for me to be hated, an Odyssey battery in a Miata

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom