k5blazer87

Apr 17, 2004
I am working on a 97 XR100. I can only get it to idle at full choke or half chock at WOT. I have adjusted the screw on the side of the carb to the smoothest idle. Is there a guideline for adjusting the jet on the bottom of the carb? Is this the pilot jet? Thanks in advance.

tshs1997

Apr 18, 2004
i have a 2000 xr 100. i was having a similar problem. it ended up being the lock nut on the exaust valve had loosened and it had come out of adjustment.

k5blazer87

Apr 17, 2004
thanks, i will try that. what are the valve specs on a 97 xr100. I am an ATV guy, working on my cousins bike. Is there anything special I need to know about adjusting these valves?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
k5blazer87 said:
Is there anything special I need to know about adjusting these valves?

blazer.

Proper valve adjustment is critical to the care and feeding of a 4stroke. I suggest you find a repair manual before attempting the adjustment. If you are experienced at adjusting valves then, you could probably get away with .002 clearance on the intake and .004 on the exhaust.

On the carb, the jet in the bottom is the main jet and is only adjustable by replacing it with a different size jet.

The little jet right next to the main jet is the pilot jet and that is the jet that may be your problem. Remove that jet and clean it. Make sure that you can see daylight through it. Also remove the air adjustment screw on the side of the carb and make sure you can blow air through the passage way. The pilot jet and pilot air system is what controls the idle.

Just my $ .02

Top Bottom