Carb help

Viper_05

Jul 24, 2002
someone please help!

well my bike was fine a week or 2 before i started it, but stupid me i forgot the fuel line in the on position and its been sitting like that for 2 weeks untill 2day, well the carb got flooded and i used the drain screw at the bottom to get rid of whatever fuel was there......

well fuel isnt getting into the engine, so im guessing that the carb is dirty or is gunked or something, ive never cleaned a carb before, but i took it off and took a look at it, from what i see it looks ok, but im not sure, so now im wondering how do i clean this, and what carb cleaner should i use

also, the bike will turn over after i changed the plug and i put a little bit of fuel, a tea spoon maybe, into the spark plug chamber and it will start but die out because gas isnt getting to it, could anyone please hepl me ?

thanks!!!!

gunslinger45

Mar 5, 2004
Well...if you have the carb off and suspect its gummed up, which sounds possible if you think its not getting any fuel, then you need to take out the jets and clean them. Soaking in carb cleaner may or may not work. The jets are going to be the brass looking things in the carb when you take the bowl off. Take them out (using a small screwdriver for the pilot, small socket for the main and make sure they are clear. Most likely, the pilot (smaller jet) may be plugged. Also make sure that the plunger is not stuck (this is actuated by the floats in the carb and allows fuel into the bowl. Bottom line, take the carb off, take off or unscrew all the fittings and clean them out...that way you know you have a clean slate. Its not that complex...just keep track of all the parts. Overall sounds a little wierd since just leaving the gas on for a couple of weeks, while not ideal, shouldn't cause that many problems. Could just be a stuck float.

Trev

Viper_05

Jul 24, 2002
i need some help, i bought some carb cleaner and pretty much sprayed every thing i could find, well i was mostly spraying and focusing on the line where, from the gas tank, the fuel line goes into the carb, gas seems to not be going into the carb from that point, it seems like something may be blocking it..... i sprayed it and tried to see if it would drain out, so then i hooked back the line from the tank to the carb only and turned on the line, gas will not come into the carb, it just stays in the line.

the line from the tank is prefectly fine, and when turned on, flows with lots of gas, so im guessing it has to be the line it connects to the carb, i need some help here, how do i unclogg this??

please help if possible, thanks!

gunslinger45

Mar 5, 2004
You NEED to take the carb apart...

1) Take carb off of bike

2) Undo the four screws on the bottom of the carb that hold what is called the "bowl" to the rest of the carb and remove the bowl.

3) There will be a horizontal pin threw a hinge holding on the float (two small pontoon like thingies)..slide the pin out and remove the float.

4) On the step above, be careful not to drop and lose the plunger..it will be up inside the fuel inlet valve...this part sticking is probably the issue. If it is stuck in the valve then no fuel will come down into the carb. Take it out, clean it and inspect for wear.

5) While we're in the carb, unscrew the brass fittings you see and clean them out thouroughly as well.

6) Put everything back together.

I'm not trying to be derogatory with these instructions, but they are as simple as I can make them. If you still don't feel comfortable with them, then take the carb to your local dealer and ask him to clean it out. Most likely, your problem is a stuck float / plunger in the fuel inlet. Next best guess would be a completely blocked pilot jet (smaller of the brass fittings you will see).

You need to take the bowl off though....spraying, dunking, and praying with carb cleaner is not going to get the job done...at least it hasn't up to this point.

Hope you make some progress...have a little confidence in yourself when taking apart the carb....its really not that complex...just keep the pieces together.

Trev

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
dude, your float is probably stuck up. sitting for 2 weeks with gas won't gum up the carb - at any rate, pull the carb and clean it as outlined above. and stop the panic!!!

Viper_05

Jul 24, 2002
damn thank you sooo much!!

step #4 helped me solve my problem and the bike is now running flawlessly!!! thanks again!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Good news !
If it ever happens again , tap the float bowl with a screwdriver , it sometimes frees the float valve....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…