ronmc

Jan 12, 2002
Is there anyway to tell if the correct carb is installed on my 02 250SX P/N location? the jets are correct for what the manual list's:D

jrbmx1

Mar 17, 2001
Are the jets correct for the temperature? The stock main is too lean for our current weather. I suspect you concern is jetting? What main jet are you using and temperature/altitude you are running in?

ronmc

Jan 12, 2002
After talking to a few people that bought bikes from the dealer I got mine from it would not suprise me if the carb were swaped with one from another bike. allso the fuel tank valve was installed backwards the carb slide cap was loose and the small paper ID tag that was stuck on all the other KTM'S carbs was missing from mine the bike runs ok but my friends 02 250SX seems to run alot smoother on the same jetting. I just thought there should be some way to ID the carb to ruel this possibility out.

jrbmx1

Mar 17, 2001
Ron,
Both of our 02's had the carb tag on them. One has the fuel petcock turned in, one is facing out. One had a loose cap on the carb also. They came from the factory that way. I do not know if there is an ID on them or not. You could measure the bore and match it to your manual or swap with your friends and see if there is a performance difference. I don't know why a dealer would swap the carb?
Ron

ronmc

Jan 12, 2002
jrbmx1,
Thanks for the info. It just seemed odd to see this difference on two 02 250SX models. We are going to try a carb swap & see what happens. This is my 5TH KTM since 98. I would not buy another brand. I found out sometimes this dealer would swap parts for trouble shooting and sometimes the original part would not get back on the correct bike. I got this info second hand so Imdon't know if it is true. Since your bike was the same as mine, I don't think anything was swaped.
Thanks agin for the info.:)

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
The 2002 250SX should have a 38mm carb on it. If you have any question as to what size you have then just pull it off an measure the front side of the carb inlet, towards the engine. Should be 38mm.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Also, it should be the "Air Striker" model. It's more responsive than the older non "Air Striker" that KTM's had a few years ago. The "Air Striker" carb has a set of fins on the inlet side and the regular carb doesn't. Check it out; it may have been swapped.
It's probably a jetting issue.

ronmc

Jan 12, 2002
Yes, The carb is 38mm and it has the air fins it looks like it must be the correct carb I will try some jetting changes.

Thanks for the help

Top Bottom