Carb Questions.

jafo

Oct 26, 2004
I bought a Makuni Carb for an '87 KDX off E-Bay the other day to try on my '84 KDx. The two carbs were very similar with the only differences being the choke lever and the idle adjustment is on the opposet side. I put the carb on the bike and it started great, but when I tried to ride the bike it felt like mush, not throttle response, almost sounded like it was missing, very sluggish. So I thought that the jetting may need to be changed. So I opened the old carb and swapped the little jet, and the bottom of the ventury. Still the same thing. I pulled the plug, it was clean and looked brand new. The ground strap was a dark blue color. It looked like it might be alittle lean maybe. Question is, are these the same size carb? I noticed the venturi needles are alittle different in size, the old being the fatter of the two, as the slides are alittle different also. I kept the slides with thier original carbs. Any ideas on the poor performance? Is there something I'm missing?

Jon

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. It's Mikuni.
2. It is indeed venturi.

You might try contacting JasonWho. He's dealt with Mikunis more than most.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Given its a used carb a good place to start would be completely disassembling the carb and give it a really good cleaning. If its been sitting around for a while some of the jet passages could be partially or completely plugged restricting the flow of fuel.

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…