Motolaw

Jan 1, 2000
I recently got hold of a used carb that is in good shape other than being dirty and having a coating of varnish, (I'm assuming from gas being left in way too long).

What do you guys recommend for cleaing varnish/old stanky gas from a carb? I was going to try gummout and hopefully get a liquid container of it and soak the carb, but would mineral spirits or some other such highly toxic and/or flammable material do a better job?

Thanks.

Mike F.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Carb cleaner is about the only thing I know that will easily break that stuff down. The dip baskets are nice but fairly expensive for limited dirt bike use. What I would do for a one time shot is too take the carb apart , remove the floats and the inlet valve reinstall the float bowl and then spray the carb full from an aerosol can of carb cleaner, let sit for a bit , drain, and spray clean with what is left of the can. Buy new gaskets!!!!!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Be careful, like Jmics said with the gaskets!!! DO NOT let the gaskets sit and soak in the carb cleaner, they will be gone by the next morning! (I've done that one myself :) )

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Well go to the store and pick up some white vinegar and soak your old gunked up carburetor in it for a couple of days. It will come out clean and smelling like a salad bar for a few days. :) But clean being the important thing. On top of all that it's environmentally friendly... :thumb:

dirttastesgr8

Feb 19, 2001
I too got a hold of a used carb and this is what I did to clean it up: I purchased a can of carb and parts cleaner (the one with the dip basket only cost $10), took the carb apart, removed all rubber and plastic parts, and let the metal parts soak in the solvent for about a half hour. That loosened up the varnish and dried up fuel real good. Then following the instructions on the carb cleaner can I rinsed the parts in water, dried them up the best i could and liberally applied WD-40 to get more of the water out. The carb looks really nice now. I believe all dirt bikers should have a parts washer, even just the simple cheap one like I used, because you can find a lot more uses for it that just a one time carb overhaul.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by dirttastesgr8
I too got a hold of a used carb and this is what I did to clean it up: I purchased a can of carb and parts cleaner (the one with the dip basket only cost $10), took the carb apart, removed all rubber and plastic parts, and let the metal parts soak in the solvent for about a half hour. That loosened up the varnish and dried up fuel real good. Then following the instructions on the carb cleaner can I rinsed the parts in water, dried them up the best i could and liberally applied WD-40 to get more of the water out. The carb looks really nice now. I believe all dirt bikers should have a parts washer, even just the simple cheap one like I used, because you can find a lot more uses for it that just a one time carb overhaul.

wow 10$ mine costed me 45$ for the gallon pail If yours was only ten I do stand corrected, they are definately sweet when you can use them and have a safe place to store it. excellent for power valve parts!!!!!

I also love the vinegar trick!!!!!!!!!

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by jmics19067

Yep the vinegar work sweet...:) and it doesn't dissolve the rubber washer and other bits that maybe stuck due the varnishing... unlike commercial carb clears. :thumb:

dirttastesgr8

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by RMXkid
run a wire through the passages and jets in the carb to make sure you all of the gunk out of it

I read somewhere not to do this; jets are made of brass, a soft metal and may be damaged by the wire.

dirttastesgr8

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by jmics19067

wow 10$ mine costed me 45$ for the gallon pail If yours was only ten I do stand corrected, they are definately sweet when you can use them and have a safe place to store it. excellent for power valve parts!!!!!

jmics, it's a 3 qt. pail of Gunk Carburetor and parts cleaner, about $10 at our local Advance Auto Parts store.

Top Bottom