carbon buildup

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Hey guys I have a question. I just took the top end apart on my yz and there was a lot of build up of black gung in the intake right after the reed. is this normal? am i running rich? any help would be great.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
You will get normal carbon deposits in the engine, they are a product of combustion and this one of the disadvantages of the two-stroke engine, that it does not burn as completely as the four stroke engine does. Anyway, how much carbon are you talking about? A thin hard layer or goopy gross masses of it. If it's the latter, you probably are running rich and if so you'll be noticing greater amounts than normal of smoke from your silencer and you should be fouling plugs. What are your plugs looking like? Black and wet with the same deposits on them? If so you're looking at a rich condition. Post back.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
If I'm current this is a case reed engine right? If so carbon in the intake means it was suffering from heavy blowby.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…