NIC_AMC

Oct 12, 2008
I have a 1990 Yamaha RT100 that l bought from a friend. The problem is that it has no power. Really blogy like it's getting to much of something. It does not rev up at all! it just blogy even in neutal. I did take the carburator off a clean it up real nice, But that didn't do nothing, But make it worse. This bike does have compression though. Starts first kick. All there is for caburator adjustment is a air jet on the side which doen't really do much. It help kinda. Is there a way l can adjust the oil injection and how much it's getting or is the carburator? The most this bike will rev up to is like 2000 RPM That's Not Much eh?

The bikew pumps out blue smoke like crazy. Is there a jet inside the bowl i can adjust?

Oh! and it missing the baffle (sliener) out of the exhaust pipe so that could be why it don't have any power. I don't know?

Do you think it will need a new top end? I can't when it was last rebuilt.

Oh! and what kind of oil should l put in the gear box/clutch? I have some money so that's not a problem. I want to use really good stuff.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Get theb pipe fixed up and if it doesn't come good when its warmed up, disconnect the oil pump and try it with premix. If that doesn't work you might need a crankshaft seal.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I suspect your carb cleaning wasn't thorough enough. You asked about whether there is a jet in the carb you can adjust, so you obviously didn't see (or know what it was) when you cleaned the carb. take the bottom off the carb again and remove the pilot jet and main jet and clean them very well. You may need to use air or even a fine soft wire (wire from bread twistee works well) to clean them out. Don't think removing the baffle is your main problem. You won't know about condition of top end until you 1) try the carb again or 2) take top end off and inspect. If you have access to a compression guage, warm your bike up and then test the compression.
10w-40 will work well enough for your gearbox. Lot of people like Shell rotella oil. Not expensive.

ats666

Apr 26, 2007
These bikes do not rev up nearly as much as you think they should...
My GF has one of these and funny enough it was this last weekend that the silancer went missing during a ride with one of my buddies on her machine (GF had to work and my buddy had nothing to do)
It revs faster with out the silancer but is much louder.

Get a manual and it will tell you how to adjust the oil pump.

I think the CDI and the expansion chamber are the limiting factors on these biles.

Boyson reeds do make a differnce in power (enough for the butt dyno to feel)

Swiss cheesing the air box and rejeting will yield abit of power.

Top Bottom