cleopatrisha

Dec 16, 2006
Here's my question both Ricky Carmicheal and James Stewart are not the tallest guys,yet both of them race the big 450's. and we all know the seat height on 450's is about 38 inches What mods are they using to make thier bikes seat height lower for them?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
RC's bikes have always been lowered, I assume with link and fork mods and cutting the seat/sub frame, but I think JS' bikes look pretty much stock height.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I read (somewhere?) that BS's bike has the rear subframe cut & lowered, as well. I remember it, because at the time I thought to myself, "self, why don't the mfgs. produce the bikes the way that the two fastest riders in the world have their bikes set up?"

So, why don't they? They set up the suspension for lightweight riders, after all, despite the fact that us 'mature riders' weigh more.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I personally think all stock bikes would function better 1 inch lower.

I had my YZ250F lowered an inch and loved it. Changed back to the stock suspension after I lost 60lbs and the modified suspension needed re-valving. Ended up sticking with the stock suspension just b/c I didn't have the money to do the lowering to that set.

If I had the money right now I would lower my YZ250F and I'm 6'. The thing turned a lot better and I never noticed any difference in bottoming but I'm not a big jumper.

Ivan

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I know that Villi has raised pegs, but I don't think RC does. They both have cut subframes, and I am pretty sure that they also have shaved seats. It is my understanding that they avoided the suspension lowering and let the tire hit the fender. I read a article on it once, but I do not recall the source. I think it was in an issue of TWMX.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Sometime last spring or summer in either Dirtrider or Racer X was a whole huge article on what the bike set ups were.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i know a guy that rides a stock kx 125 and hes only 5'4. he has to lean the bike against a tree to start it but other than that hes fine.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
MXGirl230 said:
Sometime last spring or summer in either Dirtrider or Racer X was a whole huge article on what the bike set ups were.
That may be the one that I read, was it 1 page per rider, listing height, weight, and mods? I think Larocco was the largest of the 10 or so profiled.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
yeah that's the one

I was trying to find the mag...but no luck yet...there are a lot to go through!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I'm sure that I still have it, just not in the same state that I'm in now. I though it was TW because at the time, I was a subscriber.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
XRpredator said:
short people got . . . no reason . . .

Easy for you to say, you big gangling freak!
:nener:

As for RC, I recall reading that he used to lower his bike a little (suspension-wise) but he had stopped a few years ago because it compromised the bike's performance in the whoops.

I just resigned myself to not touching with flat feet and occasionally falling over in off-camber stops. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom