atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
hey, im gonna be splitting my cases this weekend, never done this before, is there anything i should know about? and special tools? like a case splitter, where and how much to buy one? thanks for the information ahead. and its a 97' atk 250lq. 2 stroke if you don't know atk

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I used a $10 steering wheel puller..

I had to get metric bolts, but it wasn't a problem. Lowe's had them.

The main thing to keep in mind when splitting the cases, go slow.

Take your time, watch things closely. And GO SLOW.

If you feel any binding at all, back off. It should not bind. You can use a dead blow hammer to tap around the cases while you're putting pressure on it with the puller.

It should come right apart!

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
mm, thanks

thanks lol, i've seen pullers for like 60 bucks and didn't want to fork out that much. this should help. i was talking to some other people and they suggested i take lots of pictures with a digital camera, so if i screw up i can go back and see how things should be. but it should be pretty straight forward right? nothing all spring activated that will pop out like a bb gun lol.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Nope.. shouldn't be too much trouble..

Do take pictures.. Very good plan.

Be especially careful with the shift forks.. So that you make sure you get them back in correctly.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
shift forks

ok, thanks, nothing should get damaged easily right? i am really nervous about this so sorry about all the questions. also does anyone have any effective organization methods for keeping the bolts and fasteners together with their corresponding parts? i have used ziplock baggies when taking my clutches apart, but seems like there should be a better way

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I use ziplock baggies too.. Its a pretty good way to keep things straight.

Oh.. Make sure you clean the engine before tearing it down..

The cleaner the better.

If you take your time, and GO SLOW, you won't have any problems.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
thanks

thanks indy, for the advise and quick postings. this should help a lot. now to the nitrile gloves...... lol jk

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
atkkid250 said:
also does anyone have any effective organization methods for keeping the bolts and fasteners together with their corresponding parts? i have used ziplock baggies when taking my clutches apart, but seems like there should be a better way

I use the little plastic trays that microwave dinners come in. Use one for the top end. Another one for gearbox parts. Another for clutch and primary side parts and so on. Use one tray for each section of the engine.

Also, be sure to heat the cases before you split them. Heating them expands the aluminum and releases the hold on the bearings. Makes it much easier to split them and doesn't wear out the bearing bosses. Heat them again when you reassemble them and they will drop together.

If you don't have a torch, you can buy a butane or propane plumbers torch at your local hardware store. They are very inexpensive. Heat the whole case evenly in a circular motion being careful not to hold the torch in any one spot for long. Aluminum melts at around 1100 degrees. Heat the cases until you can sizzle a drop of water on the cases.

smrmx

Nov 18, 2001
make sure you got a flywheel puller so you don't damage crank or flywheel.as far a as case puller harbor freight has a great one.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Ol'89r said:
I use the little plastic trays that microwave dinners come in.

Just don't leave them on the floor and accidentally step on the edge. DOH!!

If Im not going to replace anything in my transmission, I keep two 24" pieces of aluminum tape handy. When I pull the gear clusters, I wrap a piece of tape around them lengwise, making sure all the washers are in place. Then, I place them in large ziploc bags until time to reassemble. That way, everything stays together saving me a lot of time reassmbling the transmission (plus I'm transmissionally challenged, although I always eventually get it right).

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
to pull only one side

i just need to take one side off, i dont need the rest of it disasembled, i need the clutch side off, the left. the rest can stay, i dont have to take the transmission apart for this do i? or is it all connected together

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The cases are 2 parts.. Taking one side off, means you are taking both sides off..

There's no "center" piece.

You really should get a service manual before you start, so that you are familiar with the basics of the process.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
i have tried

i have tried everywhere, for an owners manual, and i have an engine manual, but it has only maintanennce stuff, how to check the plug, and the thickness of the clutch plates, the tension in the springs etc. almost useless. its about 20 pages long haha.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
atkkid250 said:
i have tried everywhere, for an owners manual,.

Call Keith at American Dirt Bike. 951-283-5447

If a manual is available, he will have it. You can also buy your parts from him.

Tell him Terry from Alloy Graphics sent you.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
I just finished a complete rebuild of my RMZ 450. I ordered a case splitter and flywheel puller from Rocky Mountain. Both worked great. I set up a card table in the garage and used a couple cardboard flats that I had from buying pop at Sams Club so I could lay parts out in order. This also allowed me to keep parts together by groups as Ol'89r does. Get a manual before you start. Theres no way I would attempt a rebuild without a manual.

Good luck, I learned a lot with my re-build and you will to. :cool:

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
allright

everything is off, almost, theres one nut, the balancer gear nut i believe, that the dope who owned it before me used permamnet loctite on, nothing will coax it off, not heat, not a hammer, nor a cheater bar ot impact wrench. so im gonn have to split the nut, only thing keepint the cases together, and i could have had the part shippe dout today to be fixed to. :| other then that, used the ziplock bags, and no gloves, so my hands got a bit chemicalized but tis all good. everything looks good. everything went smooth. only thing stupid was that atk has the swing arm connected to the frame via the engine. where it is actually connected to teh engine. so when the engine came out, the swingarm is not free to flop about. also, how when taking those gears off do people keep the piston from going through its motions? i want to take thenut off, but when i turn it, it turns the gears which turn the piston, so i had a wooden handle wedged into the crank in such a way to keep it from turning but there has to be a better way? anyone have any tips? thanks, i no it was a long post.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
There are companies that make wedges specificly for locking up the gears. I'll see if I can link you to one.

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
i just recomended this to someone actually, however it wont work for me on account of my jug is off the engine, no cylinder, no spark plug hole to screw it into lol, thanks for the info though, ill have to keep trying the wood, it shouldn't damage anything right?

atkkid250

Uhhh...
Mar 18, 2008
ooo

thanks indy, that last post of mine was for joe. its a bit late, but im sure im gonna have to rebuild other things so i'll look into it.

Top Bottom